Sulcata Humidity

alexag

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello! I’ve installed my hygrometer in my five month old Sulcata’s enclosure and it’s in the 80’s during the day and 70’s at night. Are these humidity levels good for my sulcata? I’ve read different answers.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I find it preferable to be at least 80% day AND night. Are you running night time heat with a ceramic heat emitter?

alexag

California
I find it preferable to be at least 80% day AND night. Are you running night time heat with a ceramic heat emitter?
I have a heat emitter but I only use it when the temperature drops to the 60's.
Also, do I have to worry about the humidity causing any mold on the substrate? I haven't had any mold but I've read that it can occur.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, do I have to worry about the humidity causing any mold on the substrate? I haven't had any mold but I've read that it can occur.
A sulcata should never be kept in temps under 80 as a young one.
You need to get that night temp up ASAP or you will have a sick tortoise on your hands.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I would hook your CHE up to a thermostat, and set it for 80F. Let it run 24x7. 60's is way too cold for them. You want a constant 80F day and night, or you risk it getting a respiratory infection. As for the mold, it really depends on your substrate. I've never used anything but damp coco coir and damp fine grade orchid bark. Never had an issue with mold. The key is to turn the substrate weekly. The reason your humidity drops so much at night is because it's too cool in the enclosure. Heat produces humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I’ve installed my hygrometer in my five month old Sulcata’s enclosure and it’s in the 80’s during the day and 70’s at night. Are these humidity levels good for my sulcata? I’ve read different answers.
Please please take a few minutes to read these and make some adjustments: