Sulcata Help pictures included.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gran Pulse
Long story short, I was given a Sulcata for Christmas. I have noticed a few things about this tortoise (No name as of yet). She/He looks extra dark on his or her shell. She hasn't eaten for me yet, I have soaked her 2 times since getting her/him and the poor thing won't go to the bathroom. (Yes, she or he was in the soak for awhile (I changed out cold water for warm water every 10-15min). This tortoise has gone through several hard changes. Was on Walnut shell bedding now on Coir and some moss in the hide. Has plenty of hides (was with 7 other Sulcata's) with no hides. Basking temp is a little above 103. Other side of table is sitting at 83 with a steamy hide (humidity is at 89-93 percent. Offered fresh veggies so far with no luck. Offered Mazuri. Also, no luck. I know she is in a new environment. Will be awhile before she warms up. How long am I looking at before she is friendly and eating? And drinking some water? I am a little nervous about this tortoise. Here are some pictures. I did notice the pyramiding. Hopefully, new habitat will help she is 2 years old supposedly and is almost 7 inches long (little?) . Oh and yes, I am very familiar with Tom's care sheets. :D

sulcata behind.jpg

sulcata shells.jpg

sulcata tail.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a pretty darned good-looking tortoise. And she looks female right now.

You can see if the tortoise will eat something that we don't normally feed, like iceburg lettuce or cucumbers. This will help lubricate the innards and may cause a poop or two. Also aloe or cantaloupe (with the seeds).

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Yvonne G said:
That's a pretty darned good-looking tortoise. And she looks female right now.

You can see if the tortoise will eat something that we don't normally feed, like iceburg lettuce or cucumbers. This will help lubricate the innards and may cause a poop or two. Also aloe or cantaloupe (with the seeds).

Good advice. :) I will try the lettuce and cucumbers. I am allergic to Aloe. So, I can't do that one. How about pumpkin?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
canned pumpkin would be 'wet' enough to help get things moving. But fresh pumpkin is pretty dry.

erica anne

5 Year Member
I agree, I think she is very pretty! Good luck with getting her to eat, my new tortoises took about 7-10 days to show an appetite. I just made sure they were hydrated. Their adjustment period can be stressful for us too.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
erica anne said:
I agree, I think she is very pretty! Good luck with getting her to eat, my new tortoises took about 7-10 days to show an appetite. I just made sure they were hydrated. Their adjustment period can be stressful for us too.

Thanks Erica! I think she is gorgeous but I am her mom. :) I will soak her everyday. Another question, she is almost 7 inches how often should I soak her now?

erica anne

5 Year Member
I would continue to soak daily until you start to see her drinking on her own and she has settled into a routine. Then you could cut it back to about three times a week. Mine is 10 inches long and I soak him 3 times a week just to be on the safe side. I'm sure there are some others here that have some good advice on this as well. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
That's a good looking sully :)
I'd be patient, I got a rescue from a pet store and it took him about 2-3 days of lots of soaks, humidity, and Uvb to start really eating and being active, he is much more use to me.
He is smaller than yours, a baby but I think once yours just really get comfy and use to her new great home she will become much more social and develop a serious appetite.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
The guy that contributed to the growth of that tortoise seriously messed up. My poor baby passed away. The guy replaced it with a hatchling. But, it isn't doing all that well either. I will be patient. :/ What did you offer yours to eat? I have done a few different things for this little guy but not a bite yet.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If all that don't get things moving try Tom's idea he told me once .... Take it for a ride in the car they always poop like crazy ..

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Not sure how long you have had it or maybe I just missed that part but my Darwin took about 4 days before he started eating. They need time to settle in. As far as the no poo goes,,, The caned pumpkin and warm soaks worked for him just a couple weeks ago. My Darwin is about the same age and size. Good luck! Oh and also make sure he/she is not pooing and eating it before you notice it. Ugg I know how that sounds but they do eat it. Ugg again. lol

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
TortyTom said:
Not sure how long you have had it or maybe I just missed that part but my Darwin took about 4 days before he started eating. They need time to settle in. As far as the no poo goes,,, The caned pumpkin and warm soaks worked for him just a couple weeks ago. My Darwin is about the same age and size. Good luck! Oh and also make sure he/she is not pooing and eating it before you notice it. Ugg I know how that sounds but they do eat it. Ugg again. lol

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your words of wisdom. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wait...are you saying that the tortoise in the picture on your first post here in this thread died? OMG. That was so sudden. I'm sorry. That was a very nice-looking tortoise. I wonder what happened. Walnut shell bedding has been known to cause impaction. Maybe that was the problem.

Make sure your new baby is plenty warm enough. They won't eat if they know they can't warm up to at LEAST 85F degrees.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Hi Yvonne,
Yes, that is the one that passed away. I've been crying about this tortoise since she passed. This was one of my dream tortoises. :/

Yvonne G said:
Wait...are you saying that the tortoise in the picture on your first post here in this thread died? OMG. That was so sudden. I'm sorry. That was a very nice-looking tortoise. I wonder what happened. Walnut shell bedding has been known to cause impaction. Maybe that was the problem.

Make sure your new baby is plenty warm enough. They won't eat if they know they can't warm up to at LEAST 85F degrees.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Why is walnut shell even sold for substrate? I know regular walnuts have less aflatoxin than black walnuts (which is highly toxic) but still. For sure it had to be an impaction. That is so very sad, I am so sorry for the loss of that beautiful baby. Big bummer. : (

The new baby, keep him, as stated above, warm and humid and away from walnut. Easy to eat, not so easy to poop out if the right piece wedges in the intestine.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:
If all that don't get things moving try Tom's idea he told me once .... Take it for a ride in the car they always poop like crazy ..

I almost peed my pants laughing at the though of a sulcata pooing everywhere in someone's car (reminded me of when my dog did it).

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
TiyahLove said:
I almost peed my pants laughing at the though of a sulcata pooing everywhere in someone's car (reminded me of when my dog did it).

I know, right? Oh but they do, and how. You have to stick them in a kiddie pool or a box and prepare thyself, cause it works. Sunday drive will never be the same but we do what we can for our animals.