Sulcata Heat Stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lzack

5 Year Member
I have two Sulcatas. They are nine years old - one male one female. At the beginning of June my male started walking funny - like he was drunk. I took him to the vet. They did blood work, x-rays, etc. The vet believes he had heat stroke. He was hospitalized for several days and given iv fluids and steroids to help with any swelling on the brain. When I brought him home he still walked the same. The vet said it can take up to 2 months for the symptoms to completely go away. Has anyone else ever heard of this or experienced this? We live in Arizona so it is very hot here. We were told to bring him indoors for the summer but that wasn't possible for us. He is too big. We did implement misters for his part of the yard and he has ample shade. It is two months later and he is no better. Now we have an even bigger problem. Since it is cooling off a bit he is getting a bit friskier and has been trying to mate with the female. This is a problem because he is very unstable with his back legs. We found him on his back twice this weekend. :( It would be very difficult/next to impossible to separate them. I am afraid to leave my house because I don't want to come home and find him dead on his back. I am looking for any help if anyone else has experienced this. How long does this last? I water him / offer him water several times a day, so I can't do much more there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have not experienced this, but I bet its common in AZ.

A male shouldn't be left alone with a single female anyway. Best to separate them even if he does recover.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Do they have a natural burrow?

I wonder if the diagnosis was correct. I've had a couple instances of heat stroke, one where the tortoise actually died...and it presents as very prolific foaming from the nose and mouth. The tortoise that died, died within minutes of the onset foaming. He didn't show any mobility problems.

Can you build a fence down the middle of the tortoise yard to separate the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.