Cat HELP!! Stroke?

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Something is VERY wrong right now with my cat Semore. He was fine one minute, then all of a sudden he started walking in circles, running into things, his eyes were freaking out going back and forth but I think that was because I was holding him still so he wouldn't hurt himself, he'll just stare at nothing and move his head in circles. He just threw up, a lot, dad examined and there was nothing there that would have caused it, it was just especially ... Fluid filled, don't do well with puke so that's all I can describe in fact I'm still nauseous. He's still walking at a slant which really has me thinking stroke. He won't look when called even by his favorite of us all. Mum says he's very warm perhaps a fever but what's to judge really.

Something's very wrong and it snowed here so we can't get him to a 24hr vet.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Either a seizure or some kind of stroke. I would try to get him to a vet soon as you can. I'm not sure there's much you can do at home. There are some events here on the forum maybe they can help. I don't know their names, maybe Yvonne does.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Is your cat where you can see him? What color are his gums? Do you have a thermometer? If you can get a 'rectal normal temp are 100 - 102

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So sorry! I wish I could help. Sending good vibes his way!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Either a seizure or some kind of stroke. I would try to get him to a vet soon as you can. I'm not sure there's much you can do at home. There are some events here on the forum maybe they can help. I don't know their names, maybe Yvonne does.
I told my mum I would take of classes tomorrow to bring him to the vet since she has work, I said id take him to one of the 24 hour emergency ones but they're not close and we just got a new blanket of snow on roads no one treats anymore. I know there isn't much that can be done with either but I'd just like to make him more comfortable over night in any way possible

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Is your cat where you can see him? What color are his gums? Do you have a thermometer? If you can get a 'rectal normal temp are 100 - 102
Gums are a normal pinky color, nothing too drastic off his losing teeth gum-y mouth. We probably have a human rectal thermometer for babies, but at this point the disturbance may not be a great help, he does feel a little warmer than usual though on the pads of his feet for reference.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Normally they are colder after stroke. Check the dilation of his eyes . Are they the same. Keep him warm.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Does he have any other illnesses? Indoor or outdoor or both?
All indoor all the time now for around 2ish years. Teeth have been falling out for a few years now because of the wet food we feed him but otherwise good health, never had any worms even though he'd been a stray, only incidence was once he had a respiratory infection (before he was full time indoor so it was a good 3-4 years ago).

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Normally they are colder after stroke. Check the dilation of his eyes . Are they the same. Keep him warm.
I think I over reacted and jumped to stroke, my parents were thinking seizure and I instantly thought of human and the jarring movements and assumed it couldn't... So basically I panicked.
the dilation was the same, both HUGE like all black no color at all when he was moving his head... The moving his head was almost like someone was spinning a toy in front of him and he was following. It with his head like cats do when they play.
We currently have his bed on the floor in his basement area that's closed off and where he goes at night, it doesn't get too cold but doesn't stay very warm, but we think it's safer that he be contained than wander the house and potentially fall down the stairs if he got up, or several other things that could go wrong.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
What food are you feeding him
I think we get store brand wet food that's in pouches in our grocery store as well as hard food that's softer because of his teeth and always seafood because ever since he became a pet again he's been a spoiled brat, not that we'd trade that for the world. Nothing new was fed tonight or today though

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Karen says to confine him to like a large cat carrier where he can't get hurt. Keep him warm, and get him to a vet.
He's confined in the basement, not exactly small but he does not do well confined (we assume all sorts of abuse in his previous house and may never know) bed on the floor, he's settled down, eyes back to normal, at least looking at people when they talk like he knows you exist (before dad was calling him petting him trying everything and he just wasn't "there") he's shifted a few times and his tail was flicking some like he does when he sits. One way or another I'm getting him to the vet tomorrow if I have to pay for it myself, because something was definitely wrong and if it's a condition that will keep happening get him on the meds he may need or learn how to cope with it. (And tell Karen thank you for me)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
This may not have anything to do with it, but it is not safe to feed your cat or dog as far as that goes, fish every day. I know it's hard because most cat food seems to have fish in it, but it is not their natural food and it will make them sick if it is fed too often. just something to keep in mind for the future. and actually feeding can food is good for them.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
This may not have anything to do with it, but it is not safe to feed your cat or dog as far as that goes, fish every day. I know it's hard because most cat food seems to have fish in it, but it is not their natural food and it will make them sick if it is fed too often. just something to keep in mind for the future. and actually feeding can food is good for them.
Thad interesting to know, I had no idea a lot of fish could cause harm... I mean it's been years like this, mind you all the hard food has chicken mixed and stuff, but if you get him wet food with chicken he will not touch it and just stare at you... And he'll do it for days he's not like a tortoise who'll eventually cave and eat what he's given. Feeding can is good, but not every day, the vet told us it should be a few times a week thing because it can rot teeth if fed too much... Well that's exactly what was happening.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Our cat had this happen, it was running down the stairs and slammed into the wall, he had most of those symptoms and the vet told us he hit his head and it gave him a concussion.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Cats actually get addicted to certain kinds of food, even certain shapes of kibble. so I would suggest mixing the seafood and fish in with chicken beef turkey etc. and slowly decreasing the amount of fish until he is eating it without fish at all. his issues he's having tonight may have nothing to do with the diet but I thought it was good info to have for later.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Thank you guys for helping me so promptly. He's somewhat lucid although not gonna lie I'm too scared to go check on him...
It's 11:00 here and I need to go to bed to get to school in the morning (or the vet, I don't care my profs probably would understand they're art people and pretty relaxed) so I'll be taking one of my old sleeping pills and forcibly resting because if I don't take one I know I won't rest a bit worrying.

I'm just terrified I'll wake up and be told he's gone. I mean he's better now but what about another occurrence in the night what if that was just the beginning... No one really needs to answer any of those I just had to voice my worries to someone and you're the people I trust right now.