Sulcata habitat

Shellk

Location (City and/or State)
Friendswood, TX
Hi everyone,
I recently constructed this habitat for my 2 year old sulcata tortoise.
7AFC5BF6-8E8F-4225-B569-1AFB5A2F5BC0.jpeg
It has a net on the lid and plexiglass on the front. It also has 2 shaded areas, his old log, a food bowl, a small garden, and a water bowl. I wasn’t sure if a basking lamp is necessary because it’s already hot and humid enough in Houston, and he gets about 5-6 hours of sunlight from where the tank is positioned. If there are any suggestions on how to improve his new home or if a basking lamp is still necessary would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If this is outdoors, it is very likely to over heat. Watch the temps in there very carefully. A basking lamp shouldn't be needed in an outdoor enclosure. Depends on the temperatures really.

UV cannot get through the plexi and it will be drastically reduced going through the dense screen on top, so keep that in mind.

Those water bowls are dangerous for tortoises and should not be used. Instead sink a large terra cotta saucer into the substrate.

Shellk

Friendswood, TX
If this is outdoors, it is very likely to over heat. Watch the temps in there very carefully. A basking lamp shouldn't be needed in an outdoor enclosure. Depends on the temperatures really.

UV cannot get through the plexi and it will be drastically reduced going through the dense screen on top, so keep that in mind.

Those water bowls are dangerous for tortoises and should not be used. Instead sink a large terra cotta saucer into the substrate.
Thanks!
I will change the water bowl to a more suitable one. What temp would be considered overheating and what should I do if it is?

Shellk

Friendswood, TX
I wouldn't let it get much over 95. If its getting close to that, bring him inside to his indoor enclosure.

The other day I brought him inside because he would never come out of the back corner and I wanted him to eat so I put him in his old tank for a day and he seemed normal. Now I know why so thanks!