Sulcata food, Grow your own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I recently ordered some seed from www.sulcatafood.com for my sulcata.Has anyone ever used this seed mixture before?I planted some a few days ago and it is growing rapidly but most of the mix looks like common grass seed!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
TKCARDANDCOIN said:
I recently ordered some seed from www.sulcatafood.com for my sulcata.Has anyone ever used this seed mixture before?I planted some a few days ago and it is growing rapidly but most of the mix looks like common grass seed!

Almost every kind of grass-type plants start out looking like "common grass." Even oats looks like grass. I'm sure its going to be fine. Allow it to grow tall and go to seed, before you let the tortoise eat it, and you will have a steady supply of food!

Yvonne

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
thanks Yvonne, I planted it a few days ago and it is already over 5 inches in some areas!Whatever is in the mix it is growing very quick.As soon as spring rolls around i am going to plant it in the outside enclosure and let her graze all day.Thanks again,tom.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
sheesh! Here I had a container of mixed baby greens planted for almost two weeks and yesterday I got my first sprouts! I kept checking my thumbs to see if they were getting any greener!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If they are not getting enough heat and sun they will either not sprout or take a long time...I have the same thing with some of my seeds. Some types have not wanted to sprout, but others have no problem with the conditions. The dandelion I planted has been the worst. I planted it before I got Trevor, so over 2 months ago...they are only about 1.5 inches tall so far, and only about 1/3 of the seeds sprouted!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It's been recommended to me to set up a grow light if I wanted to get serious about it, but I'm getting enough growth even having them in an area that gets little light (we have a lot of cloud cover), and is in the 50s on the windowsill in the house. I'm quite surprised, and willing to have slower growth to not spend more money than needed. For 3 seed trays, organic potting soil, russian tortoise mix seeds, and about 6 other packets I've probably spent about $25-30! It definitely pays off in adding variety to his diet though.

savanna

5 Year Member
TKCARDANDCOIN said:

yes, I have grown grasses mostly but we are starting to grow some sprouts which is very good for your tortoise such as clover.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
just received my bag in the mail. I planted it in Shelly's enclosure. I will update with how it is going.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I started my seed on the windowsill and when i moved it into the enclosure under the uvb bulb it took off...

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
well, I took the hay out and just have the moistened dirt now. I am hoping it all fills in nicely.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'm doing great growing broadleaf stuff, as well as lettuce sprouts and vegggie sprouts, but can't get the dandelion to grow at all. You'd think it would be easier since it's a weed! Maybe I'll have more luck when it warms up and I can put it outside. My tort loves the little sprouts on top of his store-bought salad.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
so far so good. Lots of grass sprouting up in her enclosure, and it's only been 4 days.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
I caught shelly yesterday eating the grass in her enclosure!!! Hopefully she'll keep it close cropped in there.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I went to our local nursery and bought a few pounds of the pasture grass mix. This was last year.. it did well and THIS year.. oh my.. Im going to loose my torts out there.. and this is the Big Guys pasture!

And one person who had a good size sulcata never Mowed his lawn again!

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
I bought some Timothy hay seeds to experiment. Any suggestions on which grass I should buy first?

Status
Not open for further replies.