Growing Your Own Food?

Joey B.

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
Hi everyone,

So, I'm starting to look into getting my first tortoise & I'm leaning toward a Marginated. Coming up with healthy feeding options & not something out of a bag (& it seems that food from the grocery store is a last resort) is starting to stress me out. Is growing your own, maybe in planters outdoors on the patio and then just going out each day to clip up a bowl of fresh grass and weeds a doable option?

I found this place that sells different seed mixtures and I'm wondering if someone experienced can take a look to see if this might be a good idea. I was thinking of growing the broadleaf mix & the grazing tortoise seed sold here:

https://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=41

I would still give him some tortoise pellets for variety and maybe even some greens from the store on occasion but I'm hoping if I can get this to grow year round if this might make a good, healthy mixture on a daily basis?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Joey

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Their seed mixes are excellent. I think the broadleaf mix would do it.

It seems to do best in a large planter or ground space, with regular sun. I’ve not had luck with mixes either in a planter or in the ground, I don’t get enough sun and/or critters love them. If you check this thread by Tom you’ll get an idea of what healthy growth looks like: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoisesupply-com-testudo-seed-mix-thread.71890/page-2. He’s using a mix from another vendor, both are quite good.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I just planted some of the broad leaf Testudo mix from tortoise supply yesterday.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Those seed mixes are BRILLIANT.
I planted some years ago and found two bonuses.
One is if you just cut the tops off if the plants, most grow back over and over. Like an endless supply of food.
Two is that once I was done with that idea, I found gigantic things under the soil.
Carrots, etc. Things I dont know the names of. My wife used a lot of them in salads.
I cant see your location due to the current situation of pop up ads, but if you are able to plant and grow hibiscus. You're going to find that one or two hibiscus plants will provide a lot of ready to gather food.
That and a cactus or two....