Sulcata face

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello, I am new to the forum. Bought sheldon for my daughter 3 yrs ago. Sadly, I got divorced and he stayed with xwife for last 2and half yrs. Found out she never cleaned his cage the whole time, only fed spring mix, no outside time, ect. I feel he is small for his age. 5 and half inch long at 3 yrs. I took him back a2 weeks ago.I have him on varried diet of greens, grass, mazuri, weeds ect. He has this black scale buildup around his mouth on both sides. Any thoughts on what it is? Guessing build up of food over time? Praying not mouth rot. Any ideas, and how to remove. Thanks20171029_101150.jpg

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hello, new to the forum. Do you have any idea what this is on Sheldons face? 20171029_101150.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's just dirt. Place him into a shallow tub of warm water and just leave him there for a half hour or so. Then you can gently scrub it off with a soft toothbrush. Tortoises that get their daily soaks usually don't get that build up of dirt and old food.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Thankyou for your quick reply!! I soak him evry day for 15 min. Its so hard on his face, I will try the tooth brush. I love this sight, so many great post. Have helped me much. Thanks again

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I know his past care the last 2 yrs with x was not the best. Hopeing to change that.

Bee62

Germany
I know his past care the last 2 yrs with x was not the best. Hopeing to change that.
Can you show us more pics of him that showed the whole tort ? And pics of his enclosure too.
Have you read these threads ? They are very interesting for sulcata owners:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hello, here are some pics or the whole tort and enclosure. I have read alot about sulcatas, I feed grass, greens, cacti, mazuri, ect. I use m.z. bulbs, basking 100 at one, 90 at the other. Mist him twice a day, have shallow water dish. We got him when he was 3 months old, and we separated when he was 5 months. I have him back now and am trying to give him the best care possible. I think he was kept dry as he has sum light pyramiding.20171029_200953.jpg20171029_200927.jpg20171029_200842.jpg

Bee62

Germany
Hello, here are some pics or the whole tort and enclosure. I have read alot about sulcatas, I feed grass, greens, cacti, mazuri, ect. I use m.z. bulbs, basking 100 at one, 90 at the other. Mist him twice a day, have shallow water dish. We got him when he was 3 months old, and we separated when he was 5 months. I have him back now and am trying to give him the best care possible. I think he was kept dry as he has sum light pyramiding.View attachment 221586View attachment 221587View attachment 221588
Thank you for the pics. Your Sheldon don`t look bad. The pyramiding is very light and will go away with good care.
The only thing that worry me is your open tortoise table. Without a top you can`t keep humidity as high as he needs it now.
Do you know how humid it is in the enclosure ?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I try to keep it at at least 60% have a guage in. When it gets below 50, I mist the orchid chil down.

Bee62

Germany
50 - 60 % is not so much. You could cover the tortoise table with acrylic glas with holes for the lamps. Only an idea.
Do you soak him every day ? That is important too for a good hydration.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I like the plexiglass idea. I have only had him back for 2 weeks but since I have had them back I soak him everyday. I would like to soak him for a half hour, but he usually gets kind of antsy 15 minutes in.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, your Sully looks pretty good considering it probably did not receive optimum care.

Just curious, what type of substrate you have in the table top? It appears like the pellet ype?

If so, read up on best substrates for sullys.... Fine Orchid bark, cypress mulch, coco coir, peatmoss. These all hold and maintain moisture much better, won't mold like pellets.

Try and work on getting the roof enclosed..

Good luck!

Bee62

Germany
I like the plexiglass idea. I have only had him back for 2 weeks but since I have had them back I soak him everyday. I would like to soak him for a half hour, but he usually gets kind of antsy 15 minutes in.
When you soak every day 15 - 20 minutes it will be fine.
I am happy that you like my idea.:)

By the way: Happy birthday to you. I wish you luck and health, the most important things in life.:)

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hello, I am using fir bark. Tried the cypress mulch, he kept trying to eat it. I think its the repta bark brand.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hello, I am using fir bark. Tried the cypress mulch, he kept trying to eat it. I think its the repta bark brand.

Ok, couldnt quite tell. I think i would remove the grass/hay you have inside...and fill that area too with nice humid warm mulch.... Thats his hidey hole, so you want it dark, warm, moist. I'm afraid the grass will mildew/mold if you are keeping it moist?

Good luck...and happy birthday too!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
That is a great idea. I have always had iguanas, snakes, and other small reptiles. This is my first tortoise, my daughter's I should say LOL. So I'm kind of learning as I go. Thank you for your great suggestions.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
All the best with his future with you! Thanks for caring and trying to do what's best for him.
I am not an expert, but I am not too sure that his face/mouth is OK and that it's dirt, I would like to have this confirmed further here if possible, with some more pictures?