Sulcata Constipated or blockage ? When to go to the vet

koko

Location (City and/or State)
so cal
Hello,

I have a sulcata, about 30 pounds, who hasn't pooped for over a week. I have soaked him every day, taken for a car ride, walked him around and fed a ton of cucumber and watermelon, with and without oil on it, but still no poop.

Couple times a day he will try to push something out but nothing is coming.

Is it time to take him to a vet ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you have done all we would suggest.
One more thing to try, can you see anything in his butt hole? White, yellowish, poop? If so, you can try to carefully break it up with a pair of tweezers or something similar.
Otherwise I think a vet visit is needed now

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. I'd go to the vet. If you are close to Calabasas, I'd go to Dr. Molnar at All Creatures.

koko

so cal
I think you have done all we would suggest.
One more thing to try, can you see anything in his butt hole? White, yellowish, poop? If so, you can try to carefully break it up with a pair of tweezers or something similar.
Otherwise I think a vet visit is needed now
did not see anything in there

koko

so cal
UPDATE:

I took Jefe to the vet and turns out he had a golfball sized bladder stone that was obstructing his pooping. Dr. Lisa was confident that they would get it out without the use of surgery and it took 3 visits but they finally managed to get it out by hand, chipping it bit by bit, through the cloaca.

He is doing better and im still soaking him to get all the stuff moving thats been sitting there.

Thank you Dr. Lisa and her staff at Animal health care center in Glendale !! I cant recommend them enough !

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello,

I have a sulcata, about 30 pounds, who hasn't pooped for over a week. I have soaked him every day, taken for a car ride, walked him around and fed a ton of cucumber and watermelon, with and without oil on it, but still no poop.

Couple times a day he will try to push something out but nothing is coming.

Is it time to take him to a vet ?

I would say yes. An X-ray might be in order to determine what the problem is before his intestines become necrotic and cause major problems for both you and the tortoise.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
UPDATE:

I took Jefe to the vet and turns out he had a golfball sized bladder stone that was obstructing his pooping. Dr. Lisa was confident that they would get it out without the use of surgery and it took 3 visits but they finally managed to get it out by hand, chipping it bit by bit, through the cloaca.

He is doing better and im still soaking him to get all the stuff moving thats been sitting there.

Thank you Dr. Lisa and her staff at Animal health care center in Glendale !! I cant recommend them enough !
I'm happy he's ok now. Talk about scary though.