Sulcata ate star jasmine leaves

suntort

Location (City and/or State)
California
My sulcata is a year old, and we were letting them out in our backyard for some exercise. We only really grow succulents and geraniums, most of which I researched and were said to be edible for sulcatas (although we still monitor them and make sure they don’t eat too much of anything), but we do have an archway growing star jasmine. I found my sulcata finishing up a single leaf from the star jasmine, and when some forums and wikis said it was toxic, I got really worried.

They’ve never eaten the star jasmine before- they always walked past them and never seemed interested, so I didn’t research any further back then. :(

I’m letting them soak again and put out some romaine lettuce, if that will “dilute” the amount of jasmine leaf they ate. Will they be okay? Should I take them to a vet? Thank you in advance.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
My sulcata is a year old, and we were letting them out in our backyard for some exercise. We only really grow succulents and geraniums, most of which I researched and were said to be edible for sulcatas (although we still monitor them and make sure they don’t eat too much of anything), but we do have an archway growing star jasmine. I found my sulcata finishing up a single leaf from the star jasmine, and when some forums and wikis said it was toxic, I got really worried.

They’ve never eaten the star jasmine before- they always walked past them and never seemed interested, so I didn’t research any further back then. :(

I’m letting them soak again and put out some romaine lettuce, if that will “dilute” the amount of jasmine leaf they ate. Will they be okay? Should I take them to a vet? Thank you in advance.
I don't think a simple nibble of a leaf is going to cause any harm. Mine got ahold of a foxglove many years ago. Freaked me out a little, but he turned out just fine. Needless to say, the foxglove was immediately removed. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just keep an eye on him, but I think he will be fine. However, this is the reason they need their own, dedicated area so they can be safe and all bad removed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Jasmine is toxic. I've seen cases where it killed tortoises. No one can say whether or not yours ingested enough to kill it or not. Only time will tell.

There are people who mistakenly believe that a tortoise won't eat a toxic plant because they "know better" or because "they've survived for millions of years without our help". Well, now you know better than those people. They absolutely will eat toxic plants, and this is why you should never let them have access to them.

Your tortoise needs its own enclosure. Letting them free roam is a recipe for one of many disasters, as you have now seen first hand.

More help here: