Sulcata and cooler weather

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chesnee, South Carolina
So once the temperature hits 80, will it automatically stay at that temp? I’m not sure why I’m so confused about it. I’m sorry
Yes pretty much so! It might hit 85 or so then turn off.. depends on the temp gradient. Then it will turn on once the temp drops below 80 or so..you might have to set the desired temp higher or lower if the calibration is off on the thermostat so double check temps with a regular thermometer. Pretty much what Tom said about adjusting and monitoring temps.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So once the temperature hits 80, will it automatically stay at that temp? I’m not sure why I’m so confused about it. I’m sorry
So once it hits 80, the thermostat turns the CHE off. If the temperature drops below 80 again, the thermostat turns the CHE back on. It is very simple

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

No worries man. Happy to explain and talk torts all day. :)

Once the temperature reaches the set point that you have set on the thermostat, the thermostat shuts off the power to whatever is plugged into it. If things cool off and the temperature drops below the set point on your thermostat, then it kicks the power back on to the heating elements. It does this automatically day and night. During the day when the heat lamps are on and the weather is warm, your CHE will remain off because the ambient temperature at your probe will be warmer than the set point. At night when the lights are off, and the temp drops below your set point, the CHE will kick on and keep the ambient temp where you want it, but it will turn itself on and off all night, as needed, so it doesn't ever over-heat the enclosure either.

All you have to do is set the temp on the dial where you want it and then verify that the temp is correct. Sometimes the dials are a few degrees off one way or the other. Personally, I start at around 84-85. If its a little too high, it hurts nothing and I can easily adjust it down a little. On the other hand, if you set it at 80 and your particular unit runs a little cooler, then it could get too cold that first night until you adjust the dial properly and get it set. In other words, use the dial on the thermostat as a good starting point, but actually set it with the use of your thermometers. Your particular unit might need the dial set at 84 to hold a temp of 80, or vice versa.

Once you have it set and its holding the correct temp, then there is nothing much to do except keep an eye the temps and make sure nothing malfunctions day after day, week after week. I have some of those thermostats that have been running untouched for many years. They just keep working perfectly, automatically holding the temp where I want it day after day, season after season, without me having to do anything or worry about it.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
Wow! Thank you guys so much. I bought a wire cage clamp for the CHE because that was the best suggested thing for it.