Sulcata advise II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
I may have typed too much when I started the thread "sulcata advise", but I never got any answers about why my new sulcata is spending 90% of his day inside his hide. He doesn't come out early in the AM like the others, and the same goes for the evening. It has been in the high 90's everyday where I live. He has access to plenty of water, and grass. He seems really unmotivated. If I physically get him out, he will roam and act normal, but then he retreats to his hide. My other 2 come out as soon as they hear me in their pen. Is he just getting used to his new home?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
spending 90% of his day inside his hide.

Totally normal, especially since you have had him such a short time...also if he use to live primarily indoors with prior owner then the great outdoors is likely just taking some getting use to, you know?

He doesn't come out early in the AM like the others, and the same goes for the evening.

Just remember, each tortoise is unique, regardless of if you keep multiple torts of the same species, no two are the same...also, he is still settling in and likely still getting use to the great outdoors...:D

He seems really unmotivated.

Have you tried to motivate him with something he can not resist? Some yummy morsel that is bright colored and juicy sweet? Not as a regular thing---but perhaps you can sit in front of where he stays and patiently wait for him to come to the goodie? If he still shows no interest...remember he is still new, give him time...

If I physically get him out, he will roam and act normal, but then he retreats to his hide

So, bug him a couple times a day ...say once in the morning and offer him a yummy and then again before night fall offer him a yummy---and when you offer him a yummy make sure you do it as far away from his hide as possible so he has to walk there and back....lol....he is a big ole dude, so he likely will not sprint in the same fashion as your others....LOL

By the way, I looked at him on another thread and he is magnificent....beautiful....give the dude some time...hey, it can take a tort a month or two to get into the groove of his new world....:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DITTO don't forget he has been up rooted, thrown(not literally) into a new home, new human, new routine, new smells, sounds, etc, etc, etc. Give him some time. As long as he eats, poops, pees, and everything else is a okay, there shouldn't be any reason for concern. Just time and patience is needed.:D

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
Thank you everybody. All of your advise is great. It makes me feel much better. I just never experienced this with my others when I got them. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.