Sulcat Habitat Fix

Brian Alvarado

Location (City and/or State)
Tempe Arizona
I need help setting up their habitat I have 2 tortoises that are 2 weeks old I have calcium sand bowls and water dish and shelter I have 1 , 13 Watt Desert (10.0 UVB Reptisun Fluorescent) and 1 , 60W (DayTime Heat Lamp) and 2 Heat Lamps From Lowe's and I set up the lamps but the temperature is at 80 Degree's and its been 24 hours how does it get warmer its a 75 gallon tank I have a thermometer in it to? And also im not 100% percent sure how to feed them . Ive been feeding Romaine for the last 2 days.

Myroli

Pics of the setup will help, and they should eat mainly grass and weeds ( make sure pesticide free) I also use spring mix sometimes, if they will eat it you can also give them Mazuri and/or Zoomed grassland diet. Someone more experienced should be here soon to answer any other questions

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't use sand, it can cause impactions. What kind of water dish? The ones the pet store sells with a ramp are dangerous. Use a closed chamber to keep temps and the important humidity up. Please read Toms threads below in my post to help with this. Also, tortoises do not do good in pairs. Eventually one will bully the other, so be prepared to seperate them into their own set up. The bullying can show by one growing more then the other, one hiding more then the other, one sitting on the food dish and not letting the other eat, or one taking up the space in the front of the hide, so,the other can't get in. Many other signs to watch for too. Check out the tortoise table .org.uk for edible items. Also, give them warm water soaked every day for about two,years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I need help setting up their habitat I have 2 tortoises that are 2 weeks old I have calcium sand bowls and water dish and shelter I have 1 , 13 Watt Desert (10.0 UVB Reptisun Fluorescent) and 1 , 60W (DayTime Heat Lamp) and 2 Heat Lamps From Lowe's and I set up the lamps but the temperature is at 80 Degree's and its been 24 hours how does it get warmer its a 75 gallon tank I have a thermometer in it to? And also im not 100% percent sure how to feed them . Ive been feeding Romaine for the last 2 days.

Whoa! Sounds like you got some bad advice there. Hope we can help.

1. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs. Trios or more usually work, at least before sexual maturity, but pairs are much too personal. They do best alone.
2. Sand is BAD. Remove it ASAP. It can cause impactions as well as irritate the skin and eyes.
3. What type of water dish? Those ramped bowls from the pet store are dangerous and should not be used. Terra cotta saucers work best.
4. NO COIL BULBS. Those sometimes burn their eyes and should not be used.
5. Where is the temperature 80 degrees? There are 4 temps to know and watch: Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low. What are yours?
6. Here is how to feed them: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Here is the care info: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

This one should help a lot too: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Read these and then come back with any questions.

Prairie Mom

Hi Brian, Welcome to the forum! We're glad you're here. :D
I just came across your other thread about your running and flipping sulcata too. I was reading through the comments on both threads and thought you'd feel reassured to know that many of the people who have been responding to your threads have had sulcatas for decades and have done a lot of care and research with these animals. You can really trust the advice you have been given so far!:) Good stuff! Please come back and ask them questions. Posting pictures is a good idea also!

You've been shown some really good links that I used when I first got my sulcata and they really helped me as a new owner a year ago. I wanted to let you know that you can separate your sulcatas pretty cheaply while still creating a good habitat. A while ago, I made a post for someone who was trying to figure out a cheap way to house their young sulcata. Please take a glance at my post on this page. Maybe you can do something similar... http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-and-shy.115234/#post-1069946 And definitely follow the temperature and humidity guidelines in the links you have been provided with earlier.

Cheap enclosures can be created with Large storage totes, dirt from outside (it is highly recommended that you use a substrate made from coconut husk often called "coco coir", but plain sandless dirt works until you can get some!), definitely get a plant saucer for water dish, CHE (Ceramic heat emitter) for day and night heat that doesn't produce light, a mercury vapor bulb can produce light during the day and provide UVB light rays needed by your tortoise to help absorb calcium. Also offer your tortoises a good place to hide so they can feel safe and secure. These tortoises do really well in humid conditions if you can keep your temperatures no lower than 80 degrees at night. You can accomplish good humidity by wetting the substrate and letting the heat lamps evaporate the moisture into the air.

Please keep posting and asking questions! I received soooo much help when I first started!:)

Brian Alvarado

Tempe Arizona
Pics of the setup will help, and they should eat mainly grass and weeds ( make sure pesticide free) I also use spring mix sometimes, if they will eat it you can also give them Mazuri and/or Zoomed grassland diet. Someone more experienced should be here soon to answer any other questions
I was told that all these things were safe I went to Petsmart not saying im not listening to you guys but thats what they told me I also went to Petsco and they said the same thing its hard to figure all this out there diet is getting me confused im told that things are good and bad im so lost

20151027_152824.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Big B

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
Yea Brian as most of us have found out pet stores just want to sell pet stuff. Great info on this forum take time to read the links and your little dudes will be fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was told that all these things were safe I went to Petsmart not saying im not listening to you guys but thats what they told me I also went to Petsco and they said the same thing its hard to figure all this out there diet is getting me confused im told that things are good and bad im so lost

Just remember, Brian, the pet stores are in business to sell things and make money. We are only interested in helping you find the best way to care for your new tortoises...no other ulterior motive than that.

Dosu

Kuwait
I wouldn't really trust info from pet stores, they try to maximize profit and sell you items that could be harmfull/useless. For example, the petshop I went to sold me 4 jars of Aquatic tortoise food even though I had a greek tortoise. They said it was fine. Luckily I didn't feed my tortoise any and returned it. You might be able to return the things you bought, no harm in trying :p

BTW: your tortoises are REALLY CUTE! :tort:

Alaskamike

South Florida
We all can totally understand your confusion - as well as frustration.

I remember after living and fishing in Alaska for 20 years , watching a new guy from Illinois getting loaded up on 100'ds of dollars worth of fishing gear in a Wallmart. The clerk looked like an outdoorsman , sounded authoritative , and piled on the stuff.

Rods , reels, line , lures , leaders, net, hooks, weights , and waders. Even a silly looking hat.

After the clerk went on to another customer , I went over and asked what kind of fish the guy was going after. He said " Kings, Reds and then Silver's ( salmon) from the banks of the Kenai River. He was on a month long quest.

I cleared my throat and asked if he would be interested in some advice from a seasoned Alaska fisherman. He said yes.

Literally EVERYTHING the clerk loaded him up with was WRONG !

I helped him put it all back. He only kept the hat.

I remember him asking me why the sports clerk told him all that - and I noted that he sold him on what he'd been told. Likely from a manager who never fished for those brutes.

I had. Caught 100'ds of them. I sent him to another sports store with an appropriate list - that had the right stuff.

Experience makes the difference.

Good fortune to you and your torts
Welcome.

Brian Alvarado

Tempe Arizona
Is it normal for them to be sleeping in the corner where the heat lamp is? and what are the 4 temperatures that you need to find ?
And sorry but ive seen people like write and draw on their tortoise or paint is that safe?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Is it normal for them to be sleeping in the corner where the heat lamp is? and what are the 4 temperatures that you need to find ?
And sorry but ive seen people like write and draw on their tortoise or paint is that safe?
I wouldn't write or paint on my tortoise. There is a thread somewhere about it; maybe in debatable topics.

gg888

England
Warm side, cool side, basing area (under bulb) and overnight low. If they're sleeping under their lamp, perhaps they're not warm enough? I'm not sure

gg888

England
Also, I wouldn't draw or paint on them. They're much too beautiful already to ruin that :)

Agent007

View attachment 154757

No,no,no don't use sand. But the coil bulb works good for my tort(well since he's 2 years old now) I've never used sand before but I do know that is ur torts get hungry they might try and eat the sand(Since I used to use bark and my tort love to eat it when he's hungry I removed the bark) I do suggest feeding him food with high fiber. I do not suggest paint on them since well, if they grow up the paint might look weird also the reason why their always sleeping underneath the heat lamp is because they might need more heat in their sleeping place or, they still don't know that their *cave* is a place for the to sleep at but if you have the right temperature/heat they will sleep in their *cave*. Just give it 2-3 weeks

Agent007

Warm side, cool side, basing area (under bulb) and overnight low. If they're sleeping under their lamp, perhaps they're not warm enough? I'm not sure

I know the reason I've experience this. Since he just got them, The baby tort might not be used or they don't know that the *cave area* was the place for them to sleep at.

gg888

England
I thought coil bulbs caused lots of eye problems?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No,no,no don't use sand. But the coil bulb works good for my tort(well since he's 2 years old now) I've never used sand before but I do know that is ur torts get hungry they might try and eat the sand(Since I used to use bark and my tort love to eat it when he's hungry I removed the bark) I do suggest feeding him food with high fiber. I do not suggest paint on them since well, if they grow up the paint might look weird also the reason why their always sleeping underneath the heat lamp is because they might need more heat in their sleeping place or, they still don't know that their *cave* is a place for the to sleep at but if you have the right temperature/heat they will sleep in their *cave*. Just give it 2-3 weeks
Maybe the coil bulb isn't working so well for your tort. I believe you said on the other thread that he hides in the shade all the time when you put him out in the sun - it may just be anxiety but just wondering if you have some eye damage going on there causing sensitive eyes. I may be barking up the wrong tree but maybe something to be considered.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought coil bulbs caused lots of eye problems?

Yes, that's correct. The manufacturers have supposedly fixed the problem, however the old bulbs were never pulled from the shelves.