Needing help understanding heat sources....

Sue Andreski

Location (City and/or State)
Holiday, FL
I didn't t need to worry about heat light sources and enclosed habitats until the ice age hit here in central Florida last week. I've taken care of the enclosed habitats part but need help in understanding what is the best heat source. The manufacturer's don't provide a lot of info on the products.

My Sulcata is temporarily in my living room in a 2'w x 3'l x 2'h dog crate that is now enclosed. I have a 150w UVB light from above, a heat pad underneath set for 80°f and a 60w red basking light above. The basking bulb is 13-1/2 inches from the light to the top of his shell. The temp in the crate is 78°f. Humidity is around the same. He is active, eating and pooping. Who knew tortoises farted? But, I digress.

I also purchased a 60w ceramic infrared heat source. Should I add this to the crate or is what I have sufficient for now? What are the differences between a basking light for heat and the ceramic heater? He sleeps like a log with the light on at night. Once we get back to 'normal' temperatures he'll be fine and I won't be a nervous human caretaker.

Brief explaination on the 60w units is that I had injured him with a higher rating and am terrified in doing that again.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Red lights are not recommended. You don't want any lights that make things look odd colors. Your basking bulb should be white light. At night, you want just heat, no light, so a ceramic heat emitter (not infrared) is the best choice, probably, depending on the size of your sulcata. Large sulcatas should have a heat source that doesn't concentrate the heat in too small of an area - this results in burns. So with a large sulcata, you won't use a ceramic heat emitter, but rather a radiant heat panel or a radiator. For my sulcata I use a radiant heat panel on the ceiling and a Kane heat mat on the floor.
http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels
https://www.kanemfg.com/livestock-heating/

You'll want the temperature to be around 80F. He should be in an enclosure that is big enough that he can move away from the heat source.

Bixi

Memphis, Tn
"Lights off" is ideal for their sleep. Imagine if you slept next to a big heat light that was on all the time...

Sulcata have seasonal patterns even though they aren't a hibernating species. Sulcata should be easier to deal with when it comes to those patterns, but they still want to sleep in the dark at night.

You just need a good ceramic heat element that won't burn your tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I didn't t need to worry about heat light sources and enclosed habitats until the ice age hit here in central Florida last week. I've taken care of the enclosed habitats part but need help in understanding what is the best heat source. The manufacturer's don't provide a lot of info on the products.

My Sulcata is temporarily in my living room in a 2'w x 3'l x 2'h dog crate that is now enclosed. I have a 150w UVB light from above, a heat pad underneath set for 80°f and a 60w red basking light above. The basking bulb is 13-1/2 inches from the light to the top of his shell. The temp in the crate is 78°f. Humidity is around the same. He is active, eating and pooping. Who knew tortoises farted? But, I digress.

I also purchased a 60w ceramic infrared heat source. Should I add this to the crate or is what I have sufficient for now? What are the differences between a basking light for heat and the ceramic heater? He sleeps like a log with the light on at night. Once we get back to 'normal' temperatures he'll be fine and I won't be a nervous human caretaker.

Brief explaination on the 60w units is that I had injured him with a higher rating and am terrified in doing that again.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

What size sulcata are we talking about?