Suitable friends?

JoshGoldberg

When i was out collecting weeds for lilzilla a grasshopper jumped in her food bowl and wouldnt leave. So i decided to take her home. Are the grasshoppers a threat to my tortoise? I usually see them resting upon lilzillas shell when she is basking. Could anything dangerous come of this?

Attachments

• 1439148464014-914796480.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 60

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
I'd be a little worried about it chewing on her maybe, but if it's only one and she's healthy and active, I don't think that will be a problem.

JoshGoldberg

I'd be a little worried about it chewing on her maybe, but if it's only one and she's healthy and active, I don't think that will be a problem.
I too was worried about that but read that they only eat veg. I want a mini ecosystem in the tank. Snails and worms and stuff. Itll be a nice project

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I too was worried about that but read that they only eat veg. I want a mini ecosystem in the tank. Snails and worms and stuff. Itll be a nice project
How big is the enclosure?
Worms and rolly-polly bugs are good to use in the tank as natural hunting prey. I'd be careful/cautious of starting up anything with teeth/pincers in the enclosure with the tort.

JoshGoldberg

How big is the enclosure?
Worms and rolly-polly bugs are good to use in the tank as natural hunting prey. I'd be careful/cautious of starting up anything with teeth/pincers in the enclosure with the tort.
40 gallon terrarium. 2 feet long and 1 foot wide

JoshGoldberg

You have a sulcata, right? You're going to need a muuuuuuch bigger enclosure pretty soon. How big is she now?
I know ill need a bigger enclosure. She is 4 inches and is growing slowly. Im getting my backyard tortoise proofed for her big future

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you be sure it won't be introducing any viruses or germs to your tort?
I think you should release it rather than risk it.
Better safe than sorry.

JoshGoldberg

Can you be sure it won't be introducing any viruses or germs to your tort?
I think you should release it rather than risk it.
Better safe than sorry.
I bred the smallest grasshopper myself so im sure about that one but i have had no problems so fsr

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Your tank isn't really big enough for a mini eco system as well as your tort - in fact its possibly too small for him - but if you post pics I am sure people would be happy to advise about that.
I would just concentrate on making your tort as happy and healthy as possible, or have your eco system on another tank, but I personally wouldn't take the risk of adding bugs and possibly harmful bacteria. Bills for exotic vets are not cheap!

JoshGoldberg

Your tank isn't really big enough for a mini eco system as well as your tort - in fact its possibly too small for him - but if you post pics I am sure people would be happy to advise about that.
I would just concentrate on making your tort as happy and healthy as possible, or have your eco system on another tank, but I personally wouldn't take the risk of adding bugs and possibly harmful bacteria. Bills for exotic vets are not cheap!
What do you mean too small?

JoshGoldberg

She is quite small actually in her tank

Attachments

• 14391546073031651215693.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy's tank is 4 ft long by 20 inches deep and he covers every inch of it during the course of a day. I am hoping to get another years use out of it . :)

JoshGoldberg

Speedy's tank is 4 ft long by 20 inches deep and he covers every inch of it during the course of a day. I am hoping to get another years use out of it . :)
Lil z covers all of her tank as well :D and i have a nice 3/4 of an acre for lilzilla to roam around in pretty soon. The tank she is in is only temporary. After she moves out a leopard gecko will take her place. However my family and i are going through a lack of money per say. Which limits what i can do for lil zilla. So aulthough you may have a much larger tank than i doesnt mean that my tortoise isnt healthy nor happy. But thank you for your concern

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Grasshoppers eat plamts not tortoises. No danger

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Josh,
Grasshoppers, like crickets, have chewing mouthparts. Crickets are vegetarians too, but reptiles are frequently injured because people leave crickets in the enclosure over night. No reason to think a grasshopper would not also chew on a reptile, given the chance. Also, some grasshoppers are toxic if eaten, and sulcatas are opportunists. If the grasshopper died while you are out somewhere, like school, your tortoise might try to eat it. I would not risk this.

About your enclosure. 40 is too small for anything but a hatchling. They need more room. At 4", your baby needs something bigger ASAP. You are going to need at least one, if not more, intermediate enclosure sizes before your tortoise is large enough to live outside full time. You can't go from a 40 to outside.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Slightly related, I put meal worms in my box turtles enclosure. Box turtles eat mealworms. But one time when I was watching all of a sudden my Boxturtle startled and ran backwards. Obviously something had hurt her. I figured out one of the meal worms had bitten her.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
She doesnt wander a lot. Sleeps mostnof the time but is happy in that "small" space
Most likely the reason she doesn't wander around a lot is because it's so small. Being in too small of an enclosure can really stress out a tort and they'll end up just burrowed somewhere for most of the time.
Also could be that she's really bored.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Slightly related, I put meal worms in my box turtles enclosure. Box turtles eat mealworms. But one time when I was watching all of a sudden my Boxturtle startled and ran backwards. Obviously something had hurt her. I figured out one of the meal worms had bitten her.
That's why I only put red wigglers in my hospital tank for whomever I have in there (right now my 3toed I rescued sick) to hunt once they start feeling better (which is one method I use to gauge when whomever is starting to feel better). But I never put anything with teeth or pincers or such.