Growing like a weed!

Location (City and/or State)
Port St Lucie, FL
I've had Shelby my Sulcata baby almost a month, 6 more days for weigh in. I did read a thread that was good advise but is actually what I already do. I place little piles of weeds, flowers, grass around the entire 6 ft long enclosure. That's enough to find something it likes. One of the weeds pulled out with a lot of roots (light bulb) I planted two different weeds. those leaves disappeared overnight leaving only the stem and planted root. Today I did this with the same weed in three places plus little piles and her bowl of cut up mixed weeds and grass.

As for questions about species of weeds etc. I have an app that I have used over a year that is fantastic, you take a photo and try to match it up with the pics of the plants they offer till you find the matching one. It's for smartphone or tablets "Garden Answers" simple instruction. look up anything from a weed to a tree.

Her daily soakings are a ritual it has learned to expect in the morning and that is when and where she poops and peas in the water then splashes around to get her out of there so she trades off into a clean bowl of warm water to rest and soak till 20 min to1/2 hour. She is now starting to catch her tiny toenails in the little breathing holes in the container she came in.

Weirdly enough I am an animal person but dogs were my first love then came horses most of my life. Then I got my baby Sulcata, it has won over my heart and just watching it and making sure it is in the right temps and humidity (not hard to do in south Fl) is a great responsibility I like. When this tortoise runs, up goes her body and flies to the other side moving around any obstacle without plowing over it!

Attachments

• shelby climbs bath.JPG
    shelby climbs bath.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 41

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, they DO grow fast!! That's why we tell people who want to keep babies in an aquarium that it's not a good idea.

Port St Lucie, FL
Yes, they DO grow fast!! That's why we tell people who want to keep babies in an aquarium that it's not a good idea.
Well, its not huge yet still fits in my hand LOL. Found clover and give Hibiscus leaves two favorites other than the weekly treat of romaine. I made this great big tortoise table for the first maybe 2 years then I am sure I will have to build the outdoor enclosure. As all my animals have always had the freedom to come and go on my property with doggie doors open door stalls and a secure fence It holds everyone in except for my wondering rescued Road Runner. I know now to always be aware of the gate when Shelby grows up enough to use the entire property during the day.

Husband found three more gopher holes in the grass, going to offer the wildlife people to come and search for babies here and also found the ground where the mother has a huge hole.

Port St Lucie, FL
Shelby weighed in at 40gm when we got her, now one month later 51gm, shell still 3.25" no change in shell yet, just smooth and clean from all those morning soakings! gained 11 grams in her first month. Shelby is figuring out what she wants to eat from the buffet she gets in her habitat daily She can walk and find something to eat at every turn. I know her favorites already its clover she loves clover and hibiscus leaves not flowers yet just the leaves, I give her the newest ones, another favorite is nettle. I could name from the food list I could find on my property. Treats so far are romaine. That's a lot to find she likes to eat at her age!