Suggestions for Plant Identification

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan Capistrano, CA
Hello everyone! Im sorry for the potentially dumb question, but I was wondering if there is any way to hire someone to identify all of the plants in my yard to see if they are tortoise safe. I recently moved to a new home with a lot of different plant species in the backyard that I haven’t seen before. I did build an enclosure for my 12 year old Sulcata that is 100% tortoise safe, but I want to give her the whole yard to roam if possible. My only fear in doing so would be her eating something that she couldn’t.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
I'm not sure if there is a special service for this. But companies who do landscaping and garden maintenance may agree to do an "inventory" of the plants. Also, local garden nurseries might have someone who can help (just as a personal favor).

Other option would be to show photos and plant samples at the garden nursery (usually there are 1-2 people there who know things really well).

And as a fallback - a plant ID app and this forum could help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a pretty smart way to think about it actually! I was going to suggest the same things as Alex with the local nursery and Plant ID App, but I didn't think of hiring a landscape company to do an inventory. That is pretty smart too.

San Juan Capistrano, CA
Hello!
I'm not sure if there is a special service for this. But companies who do landscaping and garden maintenance may agree to do an "inventory" of the plants. Also, local garden nurseries might have someone who can help (just as a personal favor).

Other option would be to show photos and plant samples at the garden nursery (usually there are 1-2 people there who know things really well).

Hello!

Thank you so much for those suggestions! I appreciate your time!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I use PlantNet, and some newer iphones will do it automatically