Plant identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sombralocs

5 Year Member
image-3704213713.png

Is this plant safe for my Russian tortoise?
They started to grow in the bark.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That one should be easy, what with the flower and all, and the good picture, however, I don't believe I've ever seen this one. Send the picture to Edna. She's very good at I.D.ing the plants.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Is is vining or are the plants just tightly packed? If not vining, it looks like a plant in my yard (I'll have to search for a name). It sends up flower spikes with lavender bells, spreads by root and seed. Don't know for sure if it is edible, but my torts show no interest in it.

T.REX

5 Year Member
A lot of Asian family grows these plant as a type of salad to eat with their beef steak. It has a very distinct and biter taste. It will grow like crazy if you don't control it now. It's spread by their roots and will take over your yard soon. It's edible for human but I don't if it's good for your tortoise.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
When Adenaphora Amethyst is matting in my yard it looks a lot like that, then flowers on tall spikes. However, it looks like your plant is vining, so not adenaphora. It looks like a really growthy bindweed, but the little flower I see is not a bindweed flower.

Status
Not open for further replies.