SUDAN SULCATA UPDATE (W/ PICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Well...I don't think Tom and I are competing or anything...but I figured since he posted an update...I will too!

This is the largest of my brood...Climber II. He's right at 5" and 400g.
2606528.jpg

This is Stanley...the second largest at 4.5" and 365g. This one I acquired from Tom...presumably because it wasn't keeping up with the others. And LOOK! The semi-pyramiding is almost undetectable now.
amqkjl.jpg

Here's Baked Potato. He gets his name from the groove that runs the entire dorsal region...very cool! He's the other one Tom passed onto me...and his pyramiding is 'disappearing' as well. He's 4" and 265g.
33eqwjc.jpg

This one was the largest when we first acquired them from Brad. He's perfect at 4" 209g
1znlulk.jpg

This was the second largest initially...at 3.75" and 195g.
adhyz7.jpg

This is one of the two runts...though this one is taking off now at 3" and 110g
zmxdp0.jpg

And this is Kawaii. My 12 year old daughter is teaching herself Japanese...Kawaii means cute or adorable. She is still under 3" and not quite 70g.
34oewjm.jpg

And, even though this is an update on my Sudans, I feel I should update the others...for those of you who are curious...

Climber is now 17'' and just hit 30 pounds...at 3.5 years old!
2r3xt89.jpg

His sister, Jamie, is 11" and 13 pounds. I love my little bowling balls! ;)
346ufk1.jpg

And for her faithful followers...here's Snowflake who broke 4" and 200g this winter...210g to be precise!
10fqslv.jpg

We'll be back around early summer with another update! Thanks for looking!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice steady growth. I love seeing pics of tortoises on grass in the sun. :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
They are developing beautifully! Thanks for the update.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I did want to point out that the "largest" of my Sudans (Climber II) is only half the size of Tom's "Gargantua"...love that name!

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
Awesome job your ding sir they all look healthy and happy! You have somegorgeous torts I can't help it but snowflake is the prettiest in my opinion :) I also enjoy seeing the pics of em in the grass sunning.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Are they harder to find than other Sulcata's(captive born babies)? How do you know they are in fact Sudan Sulcata's? That is pretty interesting, the size difference. What do you think the cause is? Just the environment?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
kjr153 said:
Are they harder to find than other Sulcata's(captive born babies)? How do you know they are in fact Sudan Sulcata's? That is pretty interesting, the size difference. What do you think the cause is? Just the environment?

The breeder of the tortoises from which Tom and I acquired babies last May is one of the pioneers of sulcata breeding. I take his word as solid. There is something truly prehistoric about how these thing appear. And there size isn't a fluke. At around 30 years old, all of his adult males are at least 250lbs.

Again, read the following link...and be amazed!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-36412.html

Status
Not open for further replies.