SUDAN UPDATE (PHOTO HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
As summer's end nears...I thought I'd update you on the Sudans. A little disappointed in their progress...even though my biggest is a hair bigger than Tom's biggest...the other five are lagging WAY behind...the second largest being less than half the size of the largest...it'll be interesting to see how this plays out!

So here we go...smallest to largest! And another thing, they have all been given names based on Sin City characters...don't know why really...just better than saying the third smallest and fourth largest...you get the picture...they hatched out around May 20, 2012

Miho...3.5" 138g
am8g92.jpg

Wendy...4" 225g
59u4wj.jpg

Goldie...4.5" 257g
2ed2td0.jpg

Hartigan...5.5" 592g
xllawi.jpg

Dwight...5.75" 612g
2898y9f.jpg

Marv...8.25" 1314g
sbiws8.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Just for kicks...here's a shot of them soaking. It's obvious how they differ in size from one to the next!
5txwxz.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gosh those are pretty tortoises. I'm wondering if the huge front leg scales is a Sudan trait. I know that most of our sulcatas here in the U.S. are mutts, and some have smooth front leg scales, and some have rough scales, like your babies'. I hope you keep them long enough for us to see how big they get. I think my mutt, Dudley, has stopped growing and he's about 23 years old. So we don't really have too long to wait!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Wow, what a difference in sizes!! They all look so happy and healthy though :) Love that first shot! (Maybe calendar worthy?? =P)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Miho may be the tiniest but he has a lot to say. I love that picture, too. What an amazing array of sizes from, I am guessing, siblings. They all have beautiful in common. I think they all look great! Thanks for sharing Dean. They're cool. Those front legs, large scales like Yvonne noticed, are killer!

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Blondie, almost looks Ivory. It's incredible that her shell is that light. You've got some beautiful Sudans, regardless of the growth differences. It's crazy to see the size differences when once upon a time they were all about the same size. Beautiful though!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
SulcataDud3 said:
Blondie, almost looks Ivory. It's incredible that her shell is that light. You've got some beautiful Sudans, regardless of the growth differences. It's crazy to see the size differences when once upon a time they were all about the same size. Beautiful though!

That's funny! Tom's got one named Blondie...mine is Goldie. Ironically, she was one of Tom's, as well! But, she wasn't keeping up with the others...so I took her and another. Unfortunately, her sibling didn't last a week...and, in fact, Goldie had gone from 245g when I got her from Tom, down to 226g...and has slowly started to gain in the past month.

Interesting, yet sad, note: Tom and I had acquired 20 hatchlings from Brad...11 remain!:tort:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I LIKE THE LITTLE BIG MOUTH MIHO... oops yelling ... just a little bit more than the others. They are all so cool.
Okay, that last piece of news bummed me out. The 11 survivors out of 20. You and Tom are excellent, experienced keepers. Any idea as to why so much, I am assuming, hatchling failure syndrome? I mean, these are big phat, fat, huge (sturdy) sulcata from the Sudan (not an easy land). I always wonder when they do not make it. Hope you do not mind my asking.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's sad. I hadn't realized they died. Yours are looking nice. Have you guys tossed around any thoughts on the possible causes of the size difference and deaths?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They didn't all die. Some were given away. I necropsied two of them and their intestinal tracts were all blocked up. I mistakenly assumed the intestines were blocked with vermiculite. The breeder does not use a brooder box and leaves the babies in the incubator for a few days while they absorb their yolk sacs. Tyler, my friend, came on and said he does the same thing, but his babies all pass the vermiculite and turn out fine. Then the breeder came on and told me I was wrong. It couldn't be vermiculite since he only uses perlite. While my detractors gleefully gloated at my incorrect assumption, the perlite explanation actually made a lot more sense. The material my vet found in the intestine was "gray sandy sludge". I incorrectly jumped to a conclusion since most people use vermiculite, but this didn't explain why Tyler's babies don't get this problem, or my hatchlings. I have to assume the perlite ingestion and lack of soaking are the cause of the problem. That is what makes sense based on my experience. I do not have an explanation for why some do okay and some don't. I would guess it has to do with how much perlite they ingested and how long after hatching they get their first soak. It should also be noted that ALL of my hatchlings that are raised in the exact same conditions as all of the Sudan hatchlings turn out 100% perfectly. In fact I had the same 4x8' enclosure divided into two 4x4 halves. I had zero problems on the side with my babies, and about two thirds of the Sudan hatchlings had problems in the exact same enclosure, with the exact same routine and the exact same diet.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hey Tom,

Just wondering, could there possibly have been some genetic issue with the parents that they could have passed on to the offspring that causes the unusual growth and the deaths? Just thinking out loud.... I ask cuz i find it odd one side of enclosure did thrived and other half didnt...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Beautiful! I like Blondie. She almost looks ivory.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
very nice Dean~o ... of course I'm partial to the blonde one~ :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TommyZ said:
Hey Tom,

Just wondering, could there possibly have been some genetic issue with the parents that they could have passed on to the offspring that causes the unusual growth and the deaths? Just thinking out loud.... I ask cuz i find it odd one side of enclosure did thrived and other half didnt...

This is physically possible, but very unlikely. The breeder knows what he's doing and most of the adults are wild caught imports, if I'm not mistaken. Plus the babies were supposed to be from multiple clutches.

It seems to me that since they were getting equal care, that the problem must be due to something that happened before the new ones came into my possession. All of the ones I hatched using vermiculite as an incubation media, brooder boxes as soon as they step out of their egg, and soaked daily were fine. They ones incubated on perlite, left in the incubator for several days, and soaked weekly, were not all fine.

Another factor to consider, because some people just like to point fingers at me, and I'm sure they will be along shortly, is that Dean housed his differently than I did, but we saw nearly identical ratios of normal healthy growing babies to problem babies. We drove out to meet the breeder together, and I dropped Dean off at home, where he chose his babies out of the box that they were handed to us in. I never even touched or had any influence whatsoever on Dean's babies. They went straight from the breeder to his house and didn't leave the breeders box until they were moved directly into Dean's enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.