Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivyboo

5 Year Member
I have a red foot that I brought home today. I was told she was a year old and a girl. I am using a large plactic container for now. I have repti bark in there but I was told I could use regular uncolored mulch that you would use in flower beds. Is that ok?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ivyboo:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

If your tortoise is only a year old, there's no definite way to know for sure that she's female.

Also, read the ingredients on the mulch bag. If its all hardwood, with no pine or cedar, and no pesticides or herbicides, it probably would be ok.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Cypress mulch or coco coir!
Repti bark was said to cause impaction! And i get allergic reactions from it! :)

Ivyboo

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Ivyboo:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

If your tortoise is only a year old, there's no definite way to know for sure that she's female.

Also, read the ingredients on the mulch bag. If its all hardwood, with no pine or cedar, and no pesticides or herbicides, it probably would be ok.

I am Stephanie from Ohio. I will post a picture of it. Is there a special place for pictures? Also is there a way I can find out myself how old she/he is?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
There is another thread going right now that talks about substrates at one point: "new enclosure for spike". As Sulcata, but good information.
If you go back to the main page, you can post pics of your tort under "Introductions" or "Tortoise photos or videos" or even under "Redfoots" in the species specific section.
People can help you estimate the age, but it is hard to be exact, I understand, because this varies due to previous conditions (diet,sun, etc.), causing different growth rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.