Substrate?

Hayleigh119

Which is the best substrate for box turtles... Topsoil or Eco-earth? With or without repti-bark?? Or any other suggestions?

Is this topsoil okay for box turtles?

Attachments

• dhJTK7.jpg
    dhJTK7.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I use peat moss for mine. Sometimes I will add long fiber sphagnum or leaf litter as well.

EricL

5 Year Member
Maryland
Which is the best substrate for box turtles... Topsoil or Eco-earth? With or without repti-bark?? Or any other suggestions?

Is this topsoil okay for box turtles?
I use reptisoil which is eco-earth i think? With forest moss for a humid hide.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Reptisoil is a mix of peat, soil, sand and carbon, while Eco-earth is coconut fiber. You will pay more for the brand name and pre-mixed product. You can find peat, coconut fiber, soil and sand in your local garden center and will pay much less by weight for it there. I'd recommend staying away from sand as a rule, as it can accumulate and cause a blockage in the digestive system of turtles. I've been using coconut fiber for years and have been happy with it, with the exception of the only occasional spot of fuzzy white mold. Peat is acidic and much more resistant to mold so I'm trying a 50\50 mix of coconut fiber and peat to see if that eliminates the problem.