Substrate

Tricia Lynn

I truly need opinions. I've used cypress mulch for 18 years. Shelby is my baby. I have her in a plastic kiddie pool and during the summer she tours around outside. We recently took in my 16 year old niece and she claims the cypress is affecting her "athsma" we are now in the process of checking allergies etc... However, I really would like to know what you think would be the best substrate for her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Quite a few of the members here use coco coir. You buy it in a compressed brick and set it in a bucket of water until it falls apart.

My substrate of choice is orchid bark, the small grade pieces.

At 18 years, you might consider setting Shelby up in a safe outdoor yard. If you can't do that, maybe a dirt substrate. Dig up some clean dirt from the yard for the habitat.

Tricia Lynn

I live in NY...so I'm crazy worried about the cold weather... Any ideas on how to build an outdoor enclosure that takes into consideration this crazy cold?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You build him an insulated, heated shed with access to outside. Here's a link to my sister's sulcata shed:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bobs-shed.20710/

She has pictures of him outside his shed in the snow, making tracks. He knows to go back inside when he starts getting too cold.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have an 18 year old sulcata that fits in a kiddie pool?

Can we see a pic? What size is Shelby?