Substrate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
Hey guys so I've been thinking about switching out the current substrate in my stars indoor enclosure. I currently have 2" of coco coir for a base with 2" of Cypress mulch on top of that. So I have three big bags of organic gardening soil that I was thinking about switching to. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this??

1.0 Sulcata
1.0 Russian
2.0 Sri Lankan Star
1.0 African Side Neck
1.0 Yellow Bellied Slider
1.0 Ferret
2.0 Cats

Redari

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
I've tried cypress, coco coir, moss, and a dirt/sand mixture. I like cypress the best because with anything more moist I get tiny flies that I just cannot get rid of.

So now I'm back to cypress, with some moss in his hide to keep it a little more moist.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I personally prefer coir over soil. For me, the soil dried out really fast and it just felt dirtier. I don't mind moving the coir and patting it down, but with soil I hated it!

Just keep the old coir and mulch to one side in case you change your mind :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use orchid bark, and like it. Be careful that they don't start eating the soil stuff, and make sure is doesn't have any fertilizers in it, organic or not.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I use small orchid bark as well, I got some coco chunks, as the coir is to messy for my interest. The chunks work well for me to. I got the chunks at an indoor gardening center, they have been rinsed and cleaned, vacum packed and are considered a sterile, pH neutral growing media.

I've had run in with many small insects too, so now I pre-soak either media in a mild neem oil solution and that seems to be doing good at keeping the insects away. It has to be re-applied about once a month, In which I make the solution and spray some on top, then pour some for the bottom of the layer, which varies from two to four inches.

Will

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Also, I think I got my flies from a bag of organic gardening soil. So if you do decide to use it, I would suggest either putting it in the freezer or baking it or something to kill any eggs first.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
So I decided keep my current substrate. Partly because I don't want to try and fix something that already works and partly because my oldest daughter decided to seed the enclosure the other day and we've already got a lot of growth. Thanks for the input guys.

1.0 Sulcata
1.0 Russian
2.0 Sri Lankan Star
1.0 African Side Neck
1.0 Ferret
2.0 Cats

Redari said:
Also, I think I got my flies from a bag of organic gardening soil. So if you do decide to use it, I would suggest either putting it in the freezer or baking it or something to kill any eggs first.

A little trick I use that has completely resolved my fly problem is........drum roll!!! Rollie Pollies or some people may know them as pill bugs. I read done where that they eat the flies eggs. So I took a chance and tossed some in from my garden. That was about three or so weeks ago. I never see the pill bugs and I haven't had a fly problem for the last two weeks. They are also a fantastic cleanup crew. I haven't had to spot clean for two weeks either. ImageUploadedByTortForum1378013281.968220.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378013300.385123.jpg

1.0 Sulcata
1.0 Russian
2.0 Sri Lankan Star
1.0 African Side Neck
1.0 Ferret
2.0 Cats

Last edited by a moderator:

razerx

5 Year Member
I first place an inch of sand/fine gravel (the kind for cactus) on the bottom and then a layer of soil on top. I then place a mat of Bermuda grass on top of the soil. The Stars like to hide under the grass near the UVB heat/light source and will also eat the grass. The sand on the bottom will stay damp while the soil will not get muddy and the grass stays dry. Retaining moisture is the logic of this set up.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Redari said:
I've tried cypress, coco coir, moss, and a dirt/sand mixture. I like cypress the best because with anything more moist I get tiny flies that I just cannot get rid of.

So now I'm back to cypress, with some moss in his hide to keep it a little more moist.

I think there is something about cypress that suppresses all those little bugs to, at least relative to the coco chunks etc.

Not a quantified observation, but I think this is true.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.