Substrate- how deep?

kewp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fullerton, CA
I'm getting ready to clean my little guy's enclosure and I've read all sorts of things on WHAT substrate to use, but not how MUCH to use. How deep should it be? I think I overdid when I initially set it up and want to correct it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm getting ready to clean my little guy's enclosure and I've read all sorts of things on WHAT substrate to use, but not how MUCH to use. How deep should it be? I think I overdid when I initially set it up and want to correct it.

I don't believe you can overdo depth for a species that likes to dig in....I would make the substrate no less than 6 inches packed substrate...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sulcatas are diggers. My Redfoot only require a few inches. They lay on top or flip some soil onto their backs.
I have no experience with diggers and six inches or more would make sense.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its really not critical. Anywhere from 2-12 inches is fine.

What you use is far more important.

What are you using?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Not the wors
I'm using a 50/50 of organic top soil and coco peat.
Not the worst...but a mixture of coco coir and either cconut bark or orchid bark would be better! ;)

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I did 1/3 orchard bark and the rest organic top soil/coco coir. Tuleo loves to dig in his dirt area and I plant seed mixes, etc right into it and it grows great. The coco coir helps keep it nice and moist so his humidity is fantastic. I would say his is about 5" deep. I go deeper in the winter, thus far it seems to be working well!

Cherrise

I'm a newbie...is this coco noir, coco peat stuff you all refer to the same as Eco Earth? right now we have 100% Eco Earth, kept very moist for humidity.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm a newbie...is this coco noir, coco peat stuff you all refer to the same as Eco Earth? right now we have 100% Eco Earth, kept very moist for humidity.
Coconut coir and eco-earth are the same thing. You add water to them and make them expand. Coco Pete, at least where I live, is different. It is much finer and dusting here in my opinion.