How deep should soaking water be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
LA
I am soaking Morla at least once a day for 30 min in warm water, but I am not sure how deep I should make the water. I dont want to drown him. should it cover the bottom part of his shell/mouth but leave his nose open or should it be just his bottom shell part and not even get to his mouth?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
in his case, probably about 1/2 inch. if he cant walk much he may not have strength to hold his head up for long either.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
yeah, he doesnt lift his head out of the water so I dont want to put too much in there, but I also want there to be enough to make a difference kwim. I am not sure if it is safe to have it covering his mouth, but leaving his nostrils open?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Is he just laying there and not moving? If so I would maybe prop one end of the tub up so his head is out and the rest of him it would be deeper. Just make sure you stay right with him.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
OH missy that is a great idea! I was thinking of putting a rock or something to prop him up a bit. He is just sitting there for now, usually he sticks his head out when he gets in warm water, but I think he is kinda in shock from everything going on in his little world right now and he is staying in his shell most of the time.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
mine submerge thier heads to drink. nose and all. they can do that for quite some time. I just worry about your guy in his weakened state..

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I would also put a heating pad under the tub to keep the water warm. The last thing that little guy needs is a URI.

Miss_Kat

5 Year Member
LA
I am doing a heat lamp over the water while he is soaking, and the Vet said to tilt the dish I soak him in. Great advice y'all!! I think I will take him out in the sun now, its nice and hot :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Normally the water should be to the bottom of the plastron. But if he is weakened it should be a little lower so he does not have to strain himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.