Substrate for my star?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

min

5 Year Member
Hi, I am using a wood chip substrate for my baby star, I have noticed in a lot of people's pics of here they are using more of a dirt for theirs and also having living food inside the setup. What would you recommend? I'm very new to this and have only had my tar for 6 days...still a lot to learn! All advice is much appreciated

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I personally would use coco coir or peat moss or a combination the two...I would have to say that I would not use wood shavings of any type in an indoor enclosure... :D

Wait a bit to see what the others have to offer up to you as well, the more the merrier... ;)

min

5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply, I see a few people are using this. I think I may need to make a few changes :)

min

5 Year Member
I have gone and bought Rex some moss and coco substrate and also so a hide so fingers crossed he'll be happier now

min

5 Year Member
Is it any particular soil? Or are they all safe for torts?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Not all soil is safe. The ones with the white beads in them are unsafe. Hopefully someone will come by and give you more helpful advice.

min

5 Year Member
Thankyou, it'll be a while before he's in a bigger enclosure anyway so I will look further into it then

karleyreed

5 Year Member
I use a substrate called tortoise life. It's a mixture of 50:50 top soils and sand, with limestone pieces in, incase the substrate is eatin, limestone is a good source of calcium and doesn't cause impaction

min

5 Year Member
karleyreed said:
I use a substrate called tortoise life. It's a mixture of 50:50 top soils and sand, with limestone pieces in, incase the substrate is eatin, limestone is a good source of calcium and doesn't cause impaction

Thanks I will look into that one. I got some coco today hoping that will help with the humidity problems I'm having :/ I can only seem to get 30 in the day and 70 at night and have put this down to my wood chip substrate

TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Coco coir!!!!!!! :D

Is coco fibre the same? This is what I am putting in the enclosure tomorrow with some moss for his hide. Sorry for all the questions I'm pretty new to this :)

min

5 Year Member
Ok Thankyou, ill have a good look into it before I use anything

Status
Not open for further replies.