Substrate for Leopard

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
So i have a closed chamber setup right now and I in my past closed chamber for my last leopard I had cocoa coir, orchid bark and sphagnum mixed up for a substrate.

What I am wondering is what successes you guys have had for substrste. I am thinking of just doing cocoa fiber but I am afriad itll get too wet.

Marizna

I use cypress mulch mixed with coco coir. I like the orchid bark as well, but when I was setting my chamber up the local nurseries and stores didn’t have any in stock so I went with the mulch. I may change in the future. You can use just the coir if you want to, I just find that by itself it sticks to everything. As long as you keep proper temps at all times, you don’t need to worry about it being too wet. I’ve seen where other members keep their babies in swamp like conditions. I’m sure other more experienced members will give you more advice. [emoji4]

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
I use cypress mulch mixed with coco coir. I like the orchid bark as well, but when I was setting my chamber up the local nurseries and stores didn’t have any in stock so I went with the mulch. I may change in the future. You can use just the coir if you want to, I just find that by itself it sticks to everything. As long as you keep proper temps at all times, you don’t need to worry about it being too wet. I’ve seen where other members keep their babies in swamp like conditions. I’m sure other more experienced members will give you more advice. [emoji4]

Now that I think of it I did use cypress mulch haha not the bark!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use coconut coir. I like it the best. It can't really get too wet for a leopard. They are not prone too shell rot. The babies I am raising now have been on it really wet since hatching. I did this time add some repibark to it but probably wouldn't again.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
I use coconut coir. I like it the best. It can't really get too wet for a leopard. They are not prone too shell rot. The babies I am raising now have been on it really wet since hatching. I did this time add some repibark to it but probably wouldn't again.

So do you like just the Coco by itself then? I honestly like it more because its a simple option. What about sphagnum moss? Do you think he will need a “humid” hide when I am going to have it at 90%-100% humidity.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego California
I have used (all separately)

Coco coir
Cypress mulch
Fine grade orchid bark

All worked well for me, but I stick with orchid bark for the following reasons: much cleaner than coir, readily available in large quantities from my garden center, holds moisture just fine, perfect size and minimal fear of accidental ingestion.

Some people use paper towels, my vet uses news papers. I haven't tried either and probably won't unless I need to. There are varying opinions on the safety.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I use paper towels. I’ve tried everything and after seeing how much healthy leopards actually pee/poop I couldn’t see keeping the same substrate for weeks/months at a time. Paper towels allow for easy clean up and replacement on a regular basis and it also allows you to monitor the waste amounts.