substrate for an 8x4

navycop2004

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
This one is not, unfortunately. It's a hardwood, not cypress, mulch and contains colorant.

@ZEROPILOT recommended this one, if I'm not mistaken: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Better-Gro-8-qt-Orchid-Bark-Twin-Pack-50193/323690096
81g7dekU1hL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I did just find this. It looks like it would do great if not mistaken?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yes, looks like the right thing, yes. When choosing bark or mulch:
1. Cypress mulch has many small particles which get everywhere: in the dishes, stick to tortoise and under the dishes. So it's more messy overall, but I like the smell and texture and it retains humidity very well.
2. Bark makes less mess, however a bit harder to dig in. A little bit worse on maintaining humidity, but not significant.
3. Tortoise feel fine on either of this two.

Couple of notes:
1. Don't mix bark or mulch with anything else. Not necessary (but not harmful).
2. Any substrate with the word "moss" isn't good for tortoises be it "peat moss" or "sphagnum moss". Even mixed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
2. Bark makes less mess, however a bit harder to dig in. A little bit worse on maintaining humidity, but not significant.
I don't agree with the above. My tortoises dig in it just fine, and I don't see any difference in humidity with orchid bark compared to any other substrate. Humidity is a function of how much moisture is in any substrate, how well the air is "contained", ambient room humidity, and what the temperatures are.

If you filled three sealed tubs with rocks, orchid bark and cypress mulch, and all were dry to start with, and you dumped 1 gallon of water into each tub, humidity would be the same in each tub.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
It hasn't come in yet, so I don't know, but I liked what I read. The state I'm in is very humid, so I don't have much problem with humidity.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I don't agree with the above. My tortoises dig in it just fine, and I don't see any difference in humidity with orchid bark compared to any other substrate. Humidity is a function of how much moisture is in any substrate, how well the air is "contained", ambient room humidity, and what the temperatures are.

If you filled three sealed tubs with rocks, orchid bark and cypress mulch, and all were dry to start with, and you dumped 1 gallon of water into each tub, humidity would be the same in each tub.

Yes, you are right. Perhaps, I should be more precise with words. I meant that evaporation rate is higher with mulch, as it depends on surface area. However, with a closed chamber it should not matter much.

I didn't mean to misguide anyone.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I just went with the reptibark. The home depot and Lowe's didn't have the small potting media. After working out a few kinks humidity stays mid 80's no mister's

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, you are right. Perhaps, I should be more precise with words. I meant that evaporation rate is higher with mulch, as it depends on surface area. However, with a closed chamber it should not matter much.

I didn't mean to misguide anyone.
I've tried the different substrates in closed chambers and found that they are work the same if the amount of water is the same. Containing the evaporated water inside the closed chamber seems to negate any effect of surface area. One substrate might cause the chamber to get more humid faster by a few minutes, but over all it is the same.

I wonder how these different substrates would perform side by side in open topped enclosures. Then the surface area could really be a factor. If one evaporated the moisture faster, it would need to be replenished sooner and more often.

navycop2004

Oregon

so since both of these are good, would it be ok to use half and half, put mulch on the side she stays in most of the time and the bark on the other and see what she likes more? Or should I just stick to one? She has had mulch for the past 2 years, and I dont want to upset her or make her uncomfortable, but I dont want to spend a fotrune and she may like one better than the other?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I think she will be happy with either. Mixing is not necessary at all, however is not harmful. No matter what substrate you choose, she will need some days to get used to changes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
so since both of these are good, would it be ok to use half and half, put mulch on the side she stays in most of the time and the bark on the other and see what she likes more? Or should I just stick to one? She has had mulch for the past 2 years, and I dont want to upset her or make her uncomfortable, but I dont want to spend a fotrune and she may like one better than the other?
If the mulch is working for you, just stick with it.

There is no way to know why a tortoise would choose one thing over another, so no point in offering both to see what she does. Just offer what you think is best and then evaluate whether or not it is working for you and for your tortoise.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I really like how the soaking husks look. No small particles. The fir bark looks great. I'll mix them 1/3 fir bark, 2/3 husk for economic reasons. Had to order online.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I really like how the soaking husks look. No small particles. The fir bark looks great. I'll mix them 1/3 fir bark, 2/3 husk for economic reasons. Had to order online.
What do you mean "husk"? I don't like the chips or the fiber for tortoises. Both are problematic. Coco coir, the stuff with a consistency kind of like dirt, works well for baby Testudo and DTs, but any other coco based product does not. Older Testudo and other tortoise species do best on plain fine grade fir bark.