substrate for an 8x4

navycop2004

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I am looking for substrate for my enclosure. ITs an 8x4x4. Currently use the zoomed forest floor from amazon, BUT it cost a fortune for that stuff. Any advice on what I can use to keep the cost down but still retain the humidity? I have read to use the coco husk or some type of bark and then add that stuff on top? My tortoise is an adult Redfoot.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Since you are in US try your luck with hardware stores like Home Depot. Chances high you can find cypress mulch (aka ZooMed Forest Floor) or orchid bark (fir bark) there in large bags for cheap.

navycop2004

Oregon
Since you are in US try your luck with hardware stores like Home Depot. Chances high you can find cypress mulch (aka ZooMed Forest Floor) or orchid bark (fir bark) there in large bags for cheap.
I dont have to worry about bugs or other pesticides or anything with that stuff from home depoe?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Many of the forum members use "hardware-store" orchid bark without issues.
1. Some of them bake substrate in the oven. 2-3 hours at 200C, if I'm not mistaken. Infestation with bugs could happen with any substrate, actually, e.g. when packaging is damaged.
2. Pesticides in bark are non-likely. Yet you need to check the bag before buying - sometimes orchid bark is "enhanced" with colorants and fertilizers. You need bark for the flower beds, not for planting orchids. It usually comes cheaper and in larger bags.

Orchid bark label should state that it's made of fir trees, not of pine. And it should smell like soil or "Forest floor", not like fresh pine shavings.

P.S. - and you can check the plant nurseries, if you have one nearby. They could have orchid bark or cypress mulch too.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can we see pictures of your tortoise and enclosure? Is it indoors?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I dont have to worry about bugs or other pesticides or anything with that stuff from home depoe?
I never worried about any of those things and always bought my cypress mulch from HD. Used it with no problems for many years.

If you can get eucalyptus mulch anywhere, though, I would recommend using that over cypress. I had to switch to cypress when the eucalyptus became impossible to obtain in GA about 12 or 15 years ago.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I never worried about any of those things and always bought my cypress mulch from HD. Used it with no problems for many years.

If you can get eucalyptus mulch anywhere, though, I would recommend using that over cypress. I had to switch to cypress when the eucalyptus became impossible to obtain in GA about 12 or 15 years ago.
Why do you prefer the eucalyptus mulch over cypress?

I have had bags of the No-Float cypress mulch come with fire ants in them on two occasions now. I don't know if the ants came with the mulch from Home Depot or if they moved in while they were sitting on the driveway outside of the house.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Why do you prefer the eucalyptus mulch over cypress?

I have had bags of the No-Float cypress mulch come with fire ants in them on two occasions now. I don't know if the ants came with the mulch from Home Depot or if they moved in while they were sitting on the driveway outside of the house.
I think your ants came from your property. I never got any ants in my cypress mulch.

Eucalyptus mulch is a darker brown and also more uniform in color than cypress, plus it is softer and has a very pleasant odor. It is also known to deter insects and other unwanted invertebrate critters. The Bronx Zoo used eucalyptus mulch exclusively for the entire 30+ years that I was on the staff.

Good luck finding it, though. Scott's (of Turfbuilder fame) bought the only large scale plantation producing eucalyptus a number of years ago and now will not sell it outside of FL. HD and Walmart (where I used to buy it in GA) have both tried to order pallets of it from their FL warehouses for me without success. They are told that it is not licensed for sale in GA any longer. I don't think any other states can get it, either, but you could try. My friends in FL were still able to buy it the last I knew.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am looking for substrate for my enclosure. ITs an 8x4x4. Currently use the zoomed forest floor from amazon, BUT it cost a fortune for that stuff. Any advice on what I can use to keep the cost down but still retain the humidity? I have read to use the coco husk or some type of bark and then add that stuff on top? My tortoise is an adult Redfoot.
Here on the west coast you should be able to find bulk orchid bark at a local nursery. If they don't have it, ask them to order it. Make sure it is just plain fine grade fir bark. No additives. Here is the brand I've been using for about a decade now. I pay $12 for 2.0 cubic feet. 2 bags will do a 4x8. 3 Bags if you want it good an thick which would be good for a RF. Orchid bark resists bacterial and fungal growth. You can keep it damp on the bottom, but relatively dry on top to prevent the shell rot fungus that is so common on RF tortoise when they are kept on wet substrate all the time.

Orchid Bark.JPG

navycop2004

Oregon
Here on the west coast you should be able to find bulk orchid bark at a local nursery. If they don't have it, ask them to order it. Make sure it is just plain fine grade fir bark. No additives. Here is the brand I've been using for about a decade now. I pay $12 for 2.0 cubic feet. 2 bags will do a 4x8. 3 Bags if you want it good an thick which would be good for a RF. Orchid bark resists bacterial and fungal growth. You can keep it damp on the bottom, but relatively dry on top to prevent the shell rot fungus that is so common on RF tortoise when they are kept on wet substrate all the time.

View attachment 363042
would you reccomend mixing this with anything or straight using this?

navycop2004

Oregon
Many of the forum members use "hardware-store" orchid bark without issues.
1. Some of them bake substrate in the oven. 2-3 hours at 200C, if I'm not mistaken. Infestation with bugs could happen with any substrate, actually, e.g. when packaging is damaged.
2. Pesticides in bark are non-likely. Yet you need to check the bag before buying - sometimes orchid bark is "enhanced" with colorants and fertilizers. You need bark for the flower beds, not for planting orchids. It usually comes cheaper and in larger bags.

Orchid bark label should state that it's made of fir trees, not of pine. And it should smell like soil or "Forest floor", not like fresh pine shavings.

P.S. - and you can check the plant nurseries, if you have one nearby. They could have orchid bark or cypress mulch too.
thanks for that, should I just use one or the other or ok to mix? I think i posted this question in here already

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
would you reccomend mixing this with anything or straight using this?
If you use one of the other recommended substrates, you can mix them, but I see no reason to. Orchid bark works best for any species, but it works exceptionally well to prevent shell rot in RFs because of how it can stay damp on the bottom to help with humidity, but dry-ish on top to prevent shell rot.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
thanks for that, should I just use one or the other or ok to mix? I think i posted this question in here already
Just as Tom said. You can however there are no actual benefits in doing that. And if you mix bark with cypress mulch or coco coir you'll just get more mess to clean :)

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
After much reading and overspending, I chose to order coconut husk rather than coconut coir or fir bark (orchid bark). The only place I was able to get even coir was Tractor Supply at $7 for 8 qts. Just didn't go far enough and the little Russian ate it sometimes.
The husk will be larger strands he's not likely to eat. It was on sale for $4.50 for 8 qts. plus 15% off for some reason. Got a few. Shipping was ok at $4.95. It is supposed to last quite a while.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

navycop2004

Oregon

navycop2004

Oregon
After much reading and overspending, I chose to order coconut husk rather than coconut coir or fir bark (orchid bark). The only place I was able to get even coir was Tractor Supply at $7 for 8 qts. Just didn't go far enough and the little Russian ate it sometimes.
The husk will be larger strands he's not likely to eat. It was on sale for $4.50 for 8 qts. plus 15% off for some reason. Got a few. Shipping was ok at $4.95. It is supposed to last quite a while.
So the husk works well then with retaining humidity levels?