1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Substrate bugs

Discussion in 'Aldabra tortoises' started by TortyDxb, Feb 13, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. TortyDxb

TortyDxb Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    uae
    6C8DA5B3-8E93-4C89-999D-7BB9E2870EBD.jpeg 492A18D9-8B0F-424E-A83D-85DB01F5EC6A.jpeg

492A18D9-8B0F-424E-A83D-85DB01F5EC6A.jpeg I see tiny weeny bugs / insects zooming about the two aldabras in their closed chamber at night.

I’ve read up here and decided it’s nothing I worry about.

Tonight I saw they were in quite large number (nearly transparent and tiny), and they grouped a bit on one of the babies heads.

She’s gone to sleep and could care less it seems. Should I do anything?

See photos - bad quality - pulled from video. I could upload video somewhere? You could then see them zooming about all over them.

I think they are harmless...
  2. TortyDxb

TortyDxb Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    uae
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    To note: substrate is 80% coconut coir, there's hay in the photos that you see- that was a mistake- in the next substrate change it will end up 100% coconunt coir. No hay.
  3. Mr. turtle

Mr. turtle Member

I have tiny bugs in my red foots cage. She is around 9 months old. They don’t do anything. They are like mites. I read somewhere that they actually help decompose the poop. Just make sure they tortoise eats good, and poop and pees regularly. They shouldn’t harm anything.