subspecies of a hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

OctopusMagic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia
I've been looking up the characteristics of different subspecies to try and figure out what Oscar's subspecies is. Oscar is only about 6 months old (I've had him for 2 months), and I'd like to know what he is. I could post pictures if necessary, but I'm just curious if I'll need to wait for him to grow more before being able to tell. As far as my untrained eye can tell, he has the characteristics of both subspecies.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Boy are you going to love this website, hermannihaven.com!!! I have none of the Hermann's tortoises but that website, oh that website. Loved it. : )

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Pictures would help big time

Ww.Hermannihaven.com is incredible but it only covers variation in western Hermanns. But the same guy has videos on distinguishing the different races of Hermanns on YouTube

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Thank you both for the website plug :)

Octopusmagic-yes we absolutely can tell the subspecies of the tortoise as a hatchling. While it gets a little tricky differentiating between Dalmatian and Eastern Hermanns because they are so close, a baby Western Hermanns is noticeable from a distance.
We will of course need photos.

OctopusMagic

5 Year Member
Philadelphia
Here are some photos. I'm guessing Oscar is not a Western solely based on the lack of a "keyhole" shape, which leaves Dalmation or Eastern. I'm not overly concerned about Oscar's subspecies, but I'd like to know a little bit more about him and I think it will be very interesting to know. Thanks everyone! :tort:
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Oscar is an Eastern Hermann's (T. h. boettgeri) and is growing very well.

OctopusMagic

5 Year Member
Philadelphia
Thank you everyone! HermanniHaven really is an interesting and informative site. I love all of the information that I can read about my tortoise! :p Thank you Chris for the ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.