styrofoam and fake plants...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
So this isn't for a tortoise but for a crested gecko, I figured it would be the same for both though.

Instead of paying $20 at a petstore for a large fake plant, I decided to buy some styrofoam and 50 cent fake plants made for floral displays at a craft store.

They are silk plants, and the styrofoam is just to hold them into the substrate, it's completely buried.

Is there a problem with any of this?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
YIKES!!!!! YES!!!......Styrofoam ... is a no no in the redfoot world .. they will tear to shreds ( even if its buried) and eat it! Same with fake plants ...in my book Fake plants is a NO No too! .....Add a simple grow light and use the real deal ... there are many low light level plants and succulents suitable for indoor enclosures. You care enough this far .. why half *ss it? :D

JD~:)

I might add this goes for all indoor setups and species of tortoise...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL, JD...He said it is for a Gecko! and knowing absolutely NOTHING about lizards, I'll abstain from comment.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
LOL, JD...He said it is for a Gecko! and knowing absolutely NOTHING about lizards, I'll abstain from comment.

OPPS .... SO SORRY .... JET LAG!!!!!>.....V-V.....My BAD!!!!
DUH!!!
SORRY OP ......:(:D:p

and yes ..... the Gecko could live in a legoland house with all the trimmings! ;) .....although I dont know how happy he would be ... the one thing to consider and a bonus with all indoor set ups and live plants is the plants release o2 within the inclosure~

Kate

5 Year Member
What type of gecko? What species? This will help me give the proper answer to your question :)

Oh! Crested gecko *blush*
Make sure you properly wash the plants before incorporating them in your enclosure.
Here is the problem with your styrofoam idea: these geckos climb and jump on these plants, and 50 grams is heavy for being flung onto a flimsy plastic stick being held up by very flimsy styrofoam. I do not think it would be very sturdy and it could potentially be rather unsafe if it ends up slamming the gecko down. emphasis is on sturdiness, suction cups, using safe glue or string to attach the plants, or even using the same things to attach to a wide, shallow base. For instance, you could use a thin acrylic square with dimensions slightly smaller than your enclosures floor, pick several decorative elements you want to appear free standing, glue them sturdily (some support around the stems) and place in the bare bottom of your enclosure, then add substrate the width of the acrylic base prevents tipping, so long as you properly secure the plants :)... I hope that last bit made sense?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Kate said:
What type of gecko? What species? This will help me give the proper answer to your question :)

Make sure you properly wash the plants before incorporating them in your enclosure.
Here is the problem with your styrofoam idea: these geckos climb and jump on these plants, and 50 grams is heavy for being flung onto a flimsy plastic stick being held up by very flimsy styrofoam. I do not think it would be very sturdy and it could potentially be rather unsafe if it ends up slamming the gecko down. emphasis is on sturdiness, suction cups, using safe glue or string to attach the plants, or even using the same things to attach to a wide, shallow base. For instance, you could use a thin acrylic square with dimensions slightly smaller than your enclosures floor, pick several decorative elements you want to appear free standing, glue them sturdily (some support around the stems) and place in the bare bottom of your enclosure, then add substrate the width of the acrylic base prevents tipping, so long as you properly secure the plants :)... I hope that last bit made sense?

Ah, true didn't think about that... he's an itty bitty guy right now so I don't think he'll be toppling over anything but I will definitely have to consider it. Poo, I was liking my idea too :p

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
N2TORTS said:
OPPS .... SO SORRY .... JET LAG!!!!!>.....V-V.....My BAD!!!!
DUH!!!
SORRY OP ......:(:D:p

Kate said:

Geez people! Do you not read the whole original post?! It's not that long! :p XD

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I've had no issue with my tort going after fake plants. She tried to bite one and then upon realizing it wasn't edible she gave up and went on to the real plants in the enclosure. I'd be more leery of styrofoam than fake plants, but if secured well for a gecko I don't see why it would be a huge issue. I've seen people make their own backgrounds/tree stumps out of styrofoam that's lacquered to prevent them from being able to soil on it or eat it. Just beware since some glues/paints melt styrofoam!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
I've never had a problem with my leopard eating the fake plants in her enclosure, but every tortoise of different.

and i don't know much about geckos, but if their enclosure is very humid, I'd use plastic plants versus silk because the color will bleed out of the silk leaves and into substrate, water, ect. a lot of dollar store plants are silk.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
thanks for the suggestions everyone!!!

I think one of them is silk and one is plastic.

I went to a hardware store today to look into the acrylic base and it's actually something I can do, YAAY.

About how thick should the acrylic be though? Because it's only like an eighth of an inch. I was thinking about just gluing two pieces together to make it thicker.

My crested appreciates all the help and I would like to apologize for all the tortoise/gecko confusion :D

Kate

5 Year Member
I don't think it will need to be too thick, as it will be nice & long & wide, and the substrate will all be on top of it as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.