Stuck in the mud...

M

Maggie Cummings

I wasn't going to bore anybody anymore with more Bob pictures. But I just can't help myself this time...It rained for 3 solid days here. Yesterday it just poured, making a wet muddy mess everywhere. What passes for Bob's pool is a mud hole now. But there's an easy entrance and exit lined with bricks for traction. I was sitting on the deck swinging and I could hear this grunting, so I walked over to the rail and looked down and just watched that strong animal try to get out of that hole on the side and he tried and tried for about 20 minutes. I will admit to laughing at him and now he's mad at me...So I went to the grapevine and got him the first leaves of the season. The way to his heart...he couldn't stay mad with grape leaves to eat. Anyhow, here's a couple of pictures that show what I was watching...
The last picture shows the roots he used to help him get out..

Attachments

• IMG_2111.JPG
    IMG_2111.JPG
    584.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2114.JPG
    IMG_2114.JPG
    801.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2116.JPG
    IMG_2116.JPG
    911.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2117.JPG
    IMG_2117.JPG
    779.3 KB · Views: 110

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am so glad you had pics. Never a dull moment with him, yes? Please don't stop sharing Bob pics and stories, we are not bored by them at all. Lots of us look forward to the antics of a sulcata:)

M

Maggie Cummings

I am so glad you had pics. Never a dull moment with him, yes? Please don't stop sharing Bob pics and stories, we are not bored by them at all. Lots of us look forward to the antics of a sulcata:)

Thank you, I appreciate that...

StuMac

5 Year Member
Not that you post too many pics and stories...you don't post ENOUGH!! We can never have enough pics and stories of what torts get up to! Keep em coming.

želva

5 Year Member
Slovenia
I really like reading your Bob posts and photos are always appreciated.

M

Maggie Cummings

Thanks everyone, I just don't want everybody to say, "OMGosh, another darned Bob story. That old woman thinks her tortoise is something special and we don't"...I DO think he is special, and I AM nuts about him!!!
I am also hoping that new keepers with baby Sulcata might take my stories to heart and set their growing Sulcata up better than I did for Bob. I made so many mistakes with him, and he is so much easier to keep now that he is set up correctly. He's protected from his notorious escapes, and my garden is protected from him. And possibly Bob's escapades might stop somebody who is really not capable or willing to care for a big Sulcata and save a rescue from getting in another Sulcata after it's keeper decides this tortoise is more than I can handle. They are easy to find homes for when they are cute and small, but imagine the older Sulcata who is turned into a rescue, he misses his people and his familiar territory, and it's so hard to find a PROPER home for one that's now badly pyramided an not too cute anymore. That just really bothers me.
I think that there ought to be a law that anybody wanting to buy a hatchling Sulcata needs to read about Bob, WalkingRock, Tank, Tom's, Dean's and anybody I left out to see how expensive it is to set them up right, and how powerful and strong they are.
IMHO...even a small Sulcata needs an experienced keeper to set them on the healthy growth road...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Agreed. I tell my students, neighbors, and the neighborhood kids who come by to admire Taco that tortoises are HIGH maintenance pets. Bob is a lucky tort to have his yard, heated shed, custom water hole, specialty diet and constant attention and care. No wonder he's so comfortable and confident "acting out"...