bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Typically it is a sign of MBD. I would up the calcium/D3 intake and make sure he has access to UV lighting and/or natural sunshine. Of course sunshine is best.

With severe cases, it is perfectly fine to offer UV lighting/sun AND supplement D3 at the same time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not sure how much of a factor dehydration could be, but daily soaks for a while wouldn't hurt anything either.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I would soak him. If he can swim, I would swim him.

Tortoise-Luke

5 Year Member
if you push his hind legs does he push back? if he does you could try some flexing exercises after soaking in case its a muscular atrophy problem, just a guess..

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tortoise-Luke said:
if you push his hind legs does he push back? if he does you could try some flexing exercises after soaking in case its a muscular atrophy problem, just a guess..

Flexing exercises can be an excellent suggestion, as is upping his calcium/D3 and soaking daily. Making him swim might also be good, but I'd suggest that he be supervised closely in water over a few inches...Meds can swim to some extent, but a weakened tortoise can drown easily.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
calcium, sunlight, calcium, sunlight then some sunand more calcium.

I once had a redfoot that quit using her back legs, it turned out to be calcium deficiency. I went overboard (maybe) and soaked her in a calcium solution for 1/2 hour 4 times a day and Fed her high calcium foods like grape leaves coated in calcium powder. I might as well of force fed chalk to her:) It took about two months until she started walking again.

Wow!.....calcium no longer sounds like a real word, i've said it so many times:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Per Dr. Mader, hind limb paralysis can be
- kidney issues
- nerve problems
- metabolic bone disease
- lack of useful proteins
- injury

But I really could not help a lot in narrowing it down, or figuring out how hibernation would affect it.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Tortoise-Luke said:

Tried and tested, the reflex and strength perfect,
UVA/B perfect he is outside all day, calcium intake perfect. No dehydration.
I have been checking all this ever since she brought the tort to me.

Madkins007 said:
Per Dr. Mader, hind limb paralysis can be
- kidney issues
- nerve problems
- metabolic bone disease
- lack of useful proteins
- injury

But I really could not help a lot in narrowing it down, or figuring out how hibernation would affect it.
That is what i was afraid of, Its not MD and i am pretty sure its not RF,
Proteins ruled out as perfect diet is being fed,

I am going to bring him to mine to observe for a week or so and see what i can find out, because just seeing him for 10 mins and talking to the customer its difficult to see what the actual problem is.

Will keep you updated

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
No marks nothing, thing is if it was a spinal injury he would have no reflex ther at all.
This is really bugging me now.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
bikerchicspain said:
No marks nothing, thing is if it was a spinal injury he would have no reflex ther at all.
This is really bugging me now.

Well, that's a good thing, then...referring to a lack of injury, not your frustration, of course.

Spoke w/ my vet and he feels that calcium and sunshine, both in plentitude, will turn out to be the answer.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
That is what I am hoping,
Did an xray on her today everything is in it's place and no cracks or breaks.

I did a sensitivity test which was positive, so no nerve damage,
Appetite is not brilliant which could indicate MBD,
Some times her legs are quite strong and other times she has them just limp.

Will keep everyone posted, thanks guys.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Okay I've got her at mine,
This is what I have obsevered since 9,30pm, she is very weak, no attempt to move the back legs,
Tried to give her food. Nothing, I opened her mouth and put a leaf in it and she just closed her mouth then opened it again to spit it out.
She had a a bathe for 20 mins, no pee or poop,

I have some calcium carbonate tablets so I will desolve one in water and put her in it.
I am thinking of giving her puree with a syringe.

Okay here is what I have found out up to now.

Usually, paralysis of the hindlegs is caused by intestinal impaction, which can be diagnosed
by taking an X-ray of the turtle. Treatment ranges from laxatives to
possibly surgery. It is possible that a small amount of stool can still
be passed.

So does anyone know what laxative I can give a 650 gram tort?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Hi guys,

Got some very sad news,
The tort passed away tonight at 9pm,
We tried a tort laxative with no results, on a second xray it was quite clearly chronic impactation, from what, we do not know as of yet.

The thing is tortie as she was called was one of our members torts, Emma AKA Blinky, she is a newbie and did everything right, she even took advice from one of my members of staff about the substrate, of which I am totally embarrassed about.
It was mulch and bark, the substrate that I steer my clients away from.

I will not willingly sell the commercial substrate to any of my clients, as this very same thing has happened so many times
before.....

I have spoke to Emma on the phone and she will be picking tortie up on Saturday to give her a little funeral,

I have also offered one of my torts to her, as I have plenty and I know he will have an excellent home and with better advice being given..

I am Sooo sorry Emma, but what ever you did the impactation was chronic and there are only two methods, one is a laxative
and pray and the other is surgery, which for a tort is 80% chance of getting infected and dyeing, as you have to open the caparace get the intestines out and open them to get the blockage out which has a very high risk of infection, then you need to reseal the caprace.

Thanks guys for everything, but this was one battle I could/ would not win..:(:(:(:(

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
bikerchicspain said:
Hi guys,

Got some very sad news,
The tort passed away tonight at 9pm,
We tried a tort laxative with no results, on a second xray it was quite clearly chronic impactation, from what, we do not know as of yet.

The thing is tortie as she was called was one of our members torts, Emma AKA Blinky, she is a newbie and did everything right, she even took advice from one of my members of staff about the substrate, of which I am totally embarrassed about.
It was mulch and bark, the substrate that I steer my clients away from.

I will not willingly sell the commercial substrate to any of my clients, as this very same thing has happened so many times
before.....

I have spoke to Emma on the phone and she will be picking tortie up on Saturday to give her a little funeral,

I have also offered one of my torts to her, as I have plenty and I know he will have an excellent home and with better advice being given..

I am Sooo sorry Emma, but what ever you did the impactation was chronic and there are only two methods, one is a laxative
and pray and the other is surgery, which for a tort is 80% chance of getting infected and dyeing, as you have to open the caparace get the intestines out and open them to get the blockage out which has a very high risk of infection, then you need to reseal the caprace.

Thanks guys for everything, but this was one battle I could/ would not win..:(:(:(:(

You did all you could...some battles just cannot be won.

Condolences to you and the tort's owner. :(

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry the little tort didn't make it, but you are correct not all battle can be won..

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I know that I can't save them all, but it gets me thinking of stopping treating reptiles because I can't save them all, and it's difficult to deal with.

I am trying to stay positive, I will not let this beat me....
Out of 100% of torts I treat 90% get better, it's the other 10% I hate...

RIP Tortie:tort:
:(:(

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
bikerchicspain said:
I know that I can't save them all, but it gets me thinking of stopping treating reptiles because I can't save them all, and it's difficult to deal with.

I am trying to stay positive, I will not let this beat me....
Out of 100% of torts I treat 90% get better, it's the other 10% I hate...

RIP Tortie:tort:
:(:(

My doctor once told me that he feels that if he can save 70% of his seriously ill patient's than he's beating the odds, so you're doing more than fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.