Stubborn sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, AZ
It's been about a week and a half since I adopted Amun, a roughly 8 or 9 year old sulcata. He's adapting well, grazing, drinking, sleeping, poo'ing, basking and all the normal tortoise things. However, I'm a bit concerned about his sleep habits.

We're in Arizona where the temps are very comfortable day and night right now. He has a comfortable shed and I have scattered hay inside. However, every night he chooses to wedge himself somewhere else in my yard. The first place he chose was a narrow spot in between my house and a tool shed. When I blocked that he chose a new place on dirt in between a boulder and a bush. Every night I have a ritual of picking him up and putting him in his house. Most nights he stays in his shed after I move him -- but sometimes he wanders around and I have to guide him back. Is it safe for him to sleep out on his own? He's about 18" long and I'm in a neighborhood with (hopefully) few predators for an animal his size. But I'd still be happier if he was tucked in his shed.

Also, does anyone have a young-adult sulcata that enjoys being inside? When I let him, he'll follow me inside the house and roam around happily. Of course he bumps into furniture, walls and anything else in his way. I heard from the previous owner that he spent much of his youth roaming around inside a house. I haven't done it yet, but I've considered seeing if he wants to come inside to sleep. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hi Charles. Overall I would say if he decides himself to sleep outside here in Arizona, it's perfectly fine. The limited predators, his size, and our weather are all fine for him to remain outside. Most of my adults actually in June, July, and August will sleep on the grass instead of their house because it's cooler for them. However, it is my opinion that since he is new to you and the environment, it's important to establish what you want him to do and to learn that he has a home to go in at night. Once that is established, then he can decide what he wants. That way, with monsoons coming he will have already learned that he will need to go in his home instead of just staying outside. I know exactly what you are going through and they will hide just like you were saying, but I would keep doing what you have been doing, even placing a cinder block up so he can't get out of his shed until morning when you remove it and after a week. If he goes in himself, then don't worry about using something to keep him in there. I have done this with my Sulcatas even as young as 4 months and after about 4 days, they learned to go in there every night and stay in there. You want him to get comfortable with his home in the shed because the heat is coming and my adult Sulcatas stay in their house all day when it's hot and stay out at night but vice versa in the winter. You want them on a good routine and if they don't find security in their shed and it's hot, he might start to dig large holes. He will get on a routine here shortly and then you won't have to worry about it.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Thanks, Christy! I think he knows where his 'home' is but maybe just likes choosing his own spot. I guess I'll keep the routine for a couple more days and then let him be. If it's stormy out I'll definitely herd him back home if he doesn't go in on his own.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I let my Sulcata do what he want's, sometimes he will sleep outside and sometimes he sleeps halfway in and half way out. He is also 18 inches and pretty tough so I do not worry about him being out. When it gets cold he always goes inside on his own to keep warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I build a new pen, I give a lot of thought to the best spot to put the tortoise house. Most of the time they pick somewhere different, so I just move the house to where they want to sleep. Then they go in and stay in every night.

I have also used Christy's method of "training" them to go in and stay in, and that has worked for me too. I don't like them sleeping outside in the open.

Most bigger sulcatas will follow their people anywhere, indoors or out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I find a tortoise outside in the evening when I'm making my rounds, I put him inside his house and shut the door. I never leave a tortoise outside at night. After a few times of putting them away, they get the message and go in on their own.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
So, apparently nobody thinks its a good idea to let Amun inside everynight & sleep at the foot of my bed?

Just kidding ... mostly ;)

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
OllieInAZ said:
So, apparently nobody thinks its a good idea to let Amun inside everynight & sleep at the foot of my bed?

Just kidding ... mostly ;)

i know its not the best thing to do, but its so hard to fight against it right ? haha

dont worry, at least i for one wont think bad if you let him. who wouldnt like to wake up with an 18 in. tort at the foot of their bed ?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Oh ha, ha....whatever works. But what goes in must come out lol...too bad they don't make tortoise diapers.

Dr. Coffee

5 Year Member
U.S.A.
I wonder, is the shed really open? They like to feel safe, that's why he's wedging himself between things. (probably an innate equivalent of the walls of a burrow) Try making a smaller area inside the shed out of cinder blocks or wood that he can wedge himself into. I saw another post about a person who did this for their tortoise's shed. I'll look for it.

Found it:

maggie3fan said:
I think they like to feel secure and that's why I made the box for Bob...
I bought 3 bulbs before Trex had what ever trouble they had, and this is the last one and actually I think it's a 260 watt, not 250. but I can't read the writing on the bulb. Bob is very secure inside his sleeping box. It has a pig blanket in the corner and my temp gun reads out to 110 on it, so it's toasty for Bob. He sometimes just hangs out in the door way just chillin as you say...But he sleeps in it every night and is very territorial about it. He tries to ram anyone who messes with him when he is in it...
But there's no doubt in my mind that he'd have your heater knocked over right away...his heater is on top of his sleeping box. The ambient temp in the shed is 90 degrees, and the heater is set on '2'. He's spilled the water from his dish that's the water you see...
If I have done this right here is a link to a thread about his shed if you're interested...
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Bob-s-shed--20710?pid=184825#pid184825

zl875e.jpg

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
We have our shed open in the back (half a door) ~ RV prefers to use the back door.. and is now sleeping nights in her 'home'. and we're thankful. We have not done anything with her burrow, figuring she'll use it when the heat really kicks in. As for having the tort in the house.. not without (non existant) tort diapers. RV would love to come in, has done so when she was small enough to fit thru the doggie door, ans she's followed us in side when we're not careful. At probably 80 pounds and growing (since she's eating like a pig), she's too much to handle to get back outside. She can be stubborn.

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.