Extremely odd behavior from Sulcata

thegame2388

5 Year Member
So he's got his usual night box that he walks into every night. In the past 3 months or so, I can count maybe 2-3 times where he's voluntarily slept OUTSIDE. We've always put him back in.

About a week ago, at around 2am, he RANDOMLY walks out of his night box and just sleeps outside. Bear in mind, the temperature INSIDE the night box is about 80-85F while the temperature OUTSIDE is anywhere between 40-45F.

Well guess what? He did it again! Except not at 2am, but right now at around 7pm. I placed him back inside....30 minutes later, he's out again! I placed him inside....and literally 10 minutes later he's back out! What in the world is going on?

The second time I caught him walking outside the night box, he was in the middle of the backyard grassy lawn with his head sticking inside the grass (it almost looked like he was drinking, very odd!) I tapped his head a few times and usually that'll make him go back inside his shell, but this time, it didn't! I finally picked him up and placed him back inside.

What the heck is going on? The tort is well-fed and everything is normal. I just find this behavior extremely odd (especially with him sticking his head in the grass like that). If I catch him outside again, I'll take a few photos!

Argh help!

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about (he's 5 years old!):

20181206-190335.jpg

20181206-185951.jpg

20181206-190145.jpg

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Your handsome fella just doesn't realize that it's not good for him. He wants to have a late night snack, goes out and gets to cold. For his health and safety, I would be locking him in his heated box at night. If it doesn't have a door I would be installing one. We don't want this good looking guy to get sick.

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Your handsome fella just doesn't realize that it's not good for him. He wants to have a late night snack, goes out and gets to cold. For his health and safety, I would be locking him in his heated box at night. If it doesn't have a door I would be installing one. We don't want this good looking guy to get sick.

But it's not that. He's not hungry. He's not even eating the grass...he's literally just sticking his head in the grass....I swear it almost looks like he's drinking. He's now left his night box 4 times! This has never happened before.

Bambam1989

East Texas
But it's not that. He's not hungry. He's not even eating the grass...he's literally just sticking his head in the grass....I swear it almost looks like he's drinking. He's now left his night box 4 times! This has never happened before.
I will trust your observations. I'm going to assume that your tort has clean drinking water available.
Does it look like he might eat the dirt? That could be a sign of a mineral deficiency.
If that's not it, then perhaps someone who has observed this "face diving" behavior also can give some insight.
I would still consider locking him into his house at night to prevent him from wondering out and getting sick.
PS- are you sure it's a male? It crossed my mind that it could be an early sign of wanting to nest build. Searching for the right spot to dig? I don't have experience with nesting so that is me just throwing out a possibility..

thegame2388

5 Year Member
I just found him like this! He's sticking his neck and head out into the grass like this.....it looks so freaky and weird!

20181206-193638.jpg

20181206-193631.jpg

20181206-193623.jpg

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Holy ****! I brought him inside, and he's DRINKING WATER?!?!?! I have never seen this in my life. Let alone be a reason for him to leave the night box.....he's DRINKING WATER! This is the first time I've actually seen him drink since I ever got him!

20181206-195100.jpg

20181206-195043.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bambam1989

East Texas
Holy ****! I brought him inside, and he's DRINKING WATER?!?!?! I have never seen this in my life. Let alone be a reason for him to leave the night box.....he's DRINKING WATER! This is the first time I've actually seen him drink since I ever got him!

20181206-195100.jpg

20181206-195043.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So you didn't have water available to him outside? I recommend that you keep a shallow bowl for him to drink from at all times. Even if you never see him drink, always give him the option.

thegame2388

5 Year Member
So you didn't have water available to him outside? I recommend that you keep a shallow bowl for him to drink from at all times. Even if you never see him drink, always give him the option.

I've never had water outside. Never in these past 5 years. This is the first time I've seen him drink water.

surfergirl

He was looking for rain water or dew to drink off eating plants that have water drops on them. Thats is how they get their water without people involved. I am so glad his behavior helped to communicate that he needed water! The warm night box can dry them out quick because the winter months are dry due to the lower temps/dry air. Mystery solved!

Bambam1989

East Texas
Your tort is lovely. I'm glad that the odd behavior was figured out.
He would probably benefit from more frequent soaks, water available all the time (even if ya never see him drink it), and getting closed into his house at night(will give you peace of mind)

thegame2388

5 Year Member
He was looking for rain water or dew to drink off eating plants that have water drops on them. Thats is how they get their water without people involved. I am so glad his behavior helped to communicate that he needed water! The warm night box can dry them out quick because the winter months are dry due to the lower temps/dry air. Mystery solved!

Mystery of 2018 for sure. Phew.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There must be a lot of moisture in the air that he senses and, thinking it's raining, he's dipping his head to drink from the rain soaked ground.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So you don't have a water source for your tortoise outside? Ever? That's not cool man. They need to be able to get a drink of water whenever they want.

And your night box needs a door. If you give them the opportunity to harm themselves, like by going outside on a cold night, they will do it sometimes. Shut the tortoise in every night and open the door every morning. This will help keep the temps warmer too.