Adopted Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, AZ
Hello all,

I wanted to introduce this big boy I just adopted. His previous owner moved to a new house and couldn't give him a good environment. His shed was in a fairly confined area with crushed rock on the ground. He's now actively exploring our yard and seems to enjoy being out on the grass. His previous owner had him for 3 or 4 years and believes he's 8 or 9 years old. I haven't measured him yet but was told he's about 12" wide and 18" long.

amun.JPG

I've read much on the forum on sulcata care (including Tom's care sheet) but most information is about hatchlings. I'm sure I'll have more questions ... but what's on my mind right now are his temps and substrate.

For an adult of this size, what's a safe night time low temp for him to be outside without a heating element or pig blanket? I'm in Arizona and our overnight lows are around 60 right now.

His "home" is a rubbermaid plastic shed (60 in. W x 33.6 in. D x 37.32 in. H) with a hole cut in the door. He seems to like it, at least to the point of being familiar with it and going in on his own. Would he be more comfortable if I scattered some hay inside?

Okay, I thought of one more question and I think I know the answer. His diet regularly included squash, zucchini, pumpkin and probably a lot of varied greens. But specifically no cactus pads, hay or mazuri. Is it safe to assume he'd be better off without regular squash, zucchini, pumpkin? How much do these guys eat daily?

Thanks!
Charles

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Charles:

I don't feed Dudley anything. He has to subsist on whatever grows in his pasture. Bermuda grass, weeds, etc. Occasionally I'll toss him some branches off the mulberry tree. Even in the winter when the bermuda is dormant, I don't feed him.

I think your night time temps are ok for a tortoise of his size. In Dudley's shed, I have a black light in a hanging fixture, and I'll turn it on if the temps are going to be 50 or below.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Congrats on the adoption of this big guy. I personally only feed Vegas Zucchini, pumpkin and squash on rare occasions others may feed more and some not at all. Vegas seems to always be hungry but I only feed him once a day and then he grazes on the grass and weeds the rest of the day. Vegas just starting eating Mazuri about 2 weeks ago and that was the first time ever and I only give it to him a few times a week to make sure he maintains a varied diet.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Congrats. Hes Huge!
One Day il have one this big!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hi Charles, it's Christy P. I too have Sulcatas so if you want to e-mail or call me since we are within 2 hours away from each other, I can tell you what I do with my adult Sulcatas. They too have a house with automatic timers for heat, but temps here have been high 80s-95s and lows this week have been 61 or so and in their house, it's even warmer than the ambient temp.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Yvonne, thanks for the tips. I have seen him eating quite a bit of grass already. I think he really enjoys having access to grass instead of just rocks. It's good to know I'm not going to go broke feeding this guy.

D`marcus, How old is your Vegas? Do you soak the Mazuri or give it dry?

Christy, Thanks so much for the offer. I'll definitely send you a note and pick your brain on Sulcata care in Arizona. Oh, and the little leopard hatchling is still doing great!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
OllieInAZ said:
Yvonne, thanks for the tips. I have seen him eating quite a bit of grass already. I think he really enjoys having access to grass instead of just rocks. It's good to know I'm not going to go broke feeding this guy.

D`marcus, How old is your Vegas? Do you soak the Mazuri or give it dry?

Christy, Thanks so much for the offer. I'll definitely send you a note and pick your brain on Sulcata care in Arizona. Oh, and the little hatchling is still doing great!

Vegas will be 6 in November, I have had him since he was a 1 month old hatchling. I gave him the Mazuri dry when I first got it, but he kept dropping them whenever he took a bit so now I soak them in warm water and he finishes it all.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Sounds good Charles and I'm happy to hear your little one is doing great!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if that picture is where he lives.. you dont have to feed him anymore.. treats are ok.. you probably wont have to mow again either. :)
If it warms up over 70 during the day.. its ok for one that large for the temps to drop at night. as long as he is healthy..
congrats on the adoption!!! I wish more people would do that and not get hatchlings... little heartbreakers..

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
Yep, that's his new home...

Laura said:
if that picture is where he lives.. you dont have to feed him anymore.. treats are ok.. you probably wont have to mow again either. :)

Love it!

M

Maggie Cummings

I keep Bob who is pushing 100 pounds. We still don't have any sun, so the grass is not growing so I have to feed Bob still. He gets 2 cups of softened Mazuri 3 times a week. He gets a large quantity of grocery store greens and at night he gets a treat of softened acorn squash or zucchini. You'll have to judge how much to feed him by how much he leaves after his meal.

Also I would not let Bob sleep outside at all. There are predators and it's too cold outside at night. He goes inside by himself every night and while he COULD sleep outside at night does not mean he SHOULD. He goes inside at night and climbs into his sleeping box and onto his pig blanket. So that tells me he wants to sleep warm and not cold.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
My Tex is 6 and somewhere around 60 pounds. He has an old Little Tykes Log Cabin that I retrofitted to fill the walls with spray insulation, filled the corners with spray insulation and then covered the corners with aluminum flashing and has both a CHE and a Kane mat. He also goes in and out when he pleases although I find that he pretty much keeps a tight schedule on bed times. I always go out and check on him before I go to bed just to make sure. ;) I have found him twice in the morning having slept outside and both times it completely freaked me out. Once I got him back in his house, yep I carried him, and got him warmed up he was fine. He LOVES Mazuri but we have run out and I need to get more. I do soak it for him because I'll take a few of his and give it to Captain Jack- our little 14 oz. 1 1/2 yr old Sulcata. He also LOVES cactus pads. We try and give him one everyday. He usually gets either a head of romaine or green leaf, a bunch of kale or mustard greens, spring mix, or collard greens every day and then grazes the rest of the time.

We adopted Tex as a 6 yr old last July/August and have absolutely loved on him since then. I, in particular, am now a bonafide tortoise freak. I get super excited when I see anything tort related - statues, jewelry, etc, and I find it so hard not to get another- though I'd love to have a pancake, redfoot or leopard. I just love Sulcatas though. I am incredibly glad that instead of getting a hatchling to begin with, we adopted a big guy. Even when we adopted Captain Jack he was probably about 1 year old or so.

I tell you what though- I couldn't have done either without this forum. Everyone has blessed me and my torts more than I can express.

Status
Not open for further replies.