Strip Curtains for Outdoor Enclosure (I have a quote, need advice)

ChucktownTort

I found a company online who builds industrial strip curtains, but also does small custom orders, basically for doghouses. I just finished my outdoor enclosure which has a 16"x16" door. It is a 6 year old leopard who is about 9 x 9 inches, and though I live where it is warm, it can be cold in the winter. I have a mini oil filter inside.

I can either use 8 inch wide strips (which are 0.08 gauge, and at 100% overlap is 4 strips) or 12 inch wide strips (which are 0.11 gauge, and at 100% overlap is 3 strips). I don't recall how the gauge translates 16th of inches. Both are the same cost at $30 and $24 shipping. See pics.

1) I am thinking about the 8 inch strips, but the 12 inch material is thicker and better, but I am worried that is a ton to push through.
2) Is this a total rip off?

Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• 8in strip curtains.PNG
    8in strip curtains.PNG
    431.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Two options of strips.PNG
    Two options of strips.PNG
    45.9 KB · Views: 32

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings... ive seen these installed on tort houses, they work well. Personally, I went to our Dollar Store and picked up a rubber car door mat for a buck. Cut the strips, left a nice top edge, and installed. $54.00 for a few flaps seems excessive.

Not sure where you live, or how much cold air/drafts u are trying to keep out.

Heres a pix of our Sullys flaps during the final construction phase. They work well.

6A7910EB-8E29-498F-AF37-E06C7EFC55E2.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For what you want it for, that's a rip off. You can buy the vinyl strip door material and just tack it up on the inside of the tortoise door with washers and screws. You don't need all that mounting stuff. And if you do a Google search for vinyl strip door, you can buy any gauge you want, any length you want and cut it to fit. And, yes - for better quality on keeping air from moving through the door, you want to overlap to the center of the last strip installed.

Mbchs

5 Year Member
Charleston, SC
For what you want it for, that's a rip off. You can buy the vinyl strip door material and just tack it up on the inside of the tortoise door with washers and screws. You don't need all that mounting stuff. And if you do a Google search for vinyl strip door, you can buy any gauge you want, any length you want and cut it to fit. And, yes - for better quality on keeping air from moving through the door, you want to overlap to the center of the last strip installed.

Thanks Yvonne. Do you have a go to source for such a small amount or a recommended thickness/width? Best idea I have is the rug mat idea or maybe vinyl underlayment (for carpets).

Mbchs

5 Year Member
Charleston, SC
View attachment 257213

I am in the coastal southeastern US which is hot and humid >7 months, brisk 2 months of the year and spotty cold 3 months but rarely below freezing for more than 10 nights total.

Our girl has wintered inside since a hatchling and now is outside.

ChucktownTort

View attachment 257213

(confusion because my app on phone was using my wife's account, so am reposting as me to clarify)

I am in the coastal southeastern US which is hot and humid >7 months, brisk 2 months of the year and spotty cold 3 months but rarely below freezing for more than 10 nights total.

Our girl has wintered inside since a hatchling and now is outside.

ChucktownTort

(confusion because my app on phone was using my wife's account, so am reposting as me to clarify)

Thanks Yvonne. Do you have a go to source for such a small amount or a recommended thickness/width? Best idea I have is the rug mat idea or maybe vinyl underlayment (for carpets).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Maybe I'm just unusually cheap.
But I use cheap, rubber floor mats made for an automobile that I find at Big Lots or Walmart.
They're never more than $8 a pair. Theyre the perfect size and they last several years. I just staple the top edge. The photo shows two of them. One in the back left. One in the right front.
Two night box entrances.
I never cut them into strips. The tortoises always seem to figure it out.

Attachments

• 20180624_095831.jpg
    20180624_095831.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 33

ChucktownTort

Since my opening is 16”x16” and I know I have 1x1 boards framing it, I cut the material into an 18” square (and two pieces). I have 4.5” wide strips that currently don’t go all the way to the top, maybe 12” tall. The second piece is offset for overlap, so first cut began at 2.25”. It is still curled but should relax. I have the the pieces curling in opposite directions which actually creates a cool effect (see pic). I am providing too much info so others can know.

IMG_1542460932.975981.jpg

Right now it is 40 outside and inside is holding 80 no problem.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Since my opening is 16”x16” and I know I have 1x1 boards framing it, I cut the material into an 18” square (and two pieces). I have 4.5” wide strips that currently don’t go all the way to the top, maybe 12” tall. The second piece is offset for overlap, so first cut began at 2.25”. It is still curled but should relax. I have the the pieces curling in opposite directions which actually creates a cool effect (see pic). I am providing too much info so others can know.

View attachment 257488

Right now it is 40 outside and inside is holding 80 no problem.

Looks good.