Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Redfootedboxturtles said:
People some times just dont know that paint can hurt a turtle.

It was just painted. Somthing that was very very common back in the early days.

Once more very valid points. I lot of folks who have had turtles for years, just would never think about going into a site to learn more. To be honest I keep dogs, cats, and poultry but to be honest I have not done any intensive research into them for many many years.

I myself recall the beautifully painted RES hatchlings from the 60s. Much as today we see the shells for crabs. We have since learned how wrong that was, but the general public most likely has no idea. Look at all the other wrong ways we keep our turtles/torts because we "used to do it that way as kids" or "our friends, neighbors, co-workers told us to" or even how knowledgeable most pet store employees and even Vets are (sadly they aren't knowledgeable are they?).

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I guess a first reaction to seeing something like that is ..indignant, appalled, shocked...you get the point. Then when you become rational again, and stop to think....all these points being made are clearly the right thing to do. But, I would do a VERY intensive screening before handing in over.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
So, the bottom line is how do you clean him up?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think the main thing is just going to be time and natural wearing off. Everything to take it off, can cause more damage. Gentle brushing is about the only option left. Yvonne on the first page gave a thread where somebody did remove most of the paint from their's.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That paint could of been on for years. I think if you do a google search on somthing like all natural nail polish remover something organic/natural may take the paint off.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
do not plot evil against your neighbor, and do not love to swear falsely. I hate all this" declares the LORD

Is that a "quote" from the bible? I didn't know they used the work hate in there. I'm not being sarcastic or anything, and don't want to offend you, I am just curious.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
do not plot evil against your neighbor, and do not love to swear falsely. I hate all this" declares the LORD

Is that a "quote" from the bible? I didn't know they used the work hate in there. I'm not being sarcastic or anything, and don't want to offend you, I am just curious.

That's OLD TESTAMENT Terry.. and it's a version other than King James too.

New King James reads..

'...Let none of you think evil in his heart against your neighbor;
And do not love a false oath.
For all these are things that I hate', Says the Lord.

This was a small part of a prophecy that Zechariah brought forth to Jerusalem.. in 607 B.C.

nerd

Nachtwulf

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
With soaking, careful brushing, a scouring pad designed not to scratch delicate surfaces and VERY ginger usage of a plastic pick that wouldn't scratch the scutes, I was able to remove about 70% of the paint over the course of several 15 minute 'sessions'. He seemed pretty placid throughout the treatment, looking at me and hanging onto my fingers with his forefeet.

A neighbor came and claimed him and was upset that I had removed some of the paint. She made some nasty comment about how would I like it if someone stole and shaved my dog, and said she would "Fix it" when she got him home. Unfortunately, there was no way to really screen her, since my two girls were oh so helpful and as soon as she said it was hers, they ran back to his box and brought him to her. I couldn't exactly at that point say "oh sorry, I can't give him to you". My attempt to tell her that she could not use that kind of paint met with a huffy snark to mind my own business and she took "Tuck" home.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Well, so much for educating the owner. If this person lived in my neighborhood, I would do my best to rob him back. I would be a BAD person.....and not give a d--m.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do you have a local Animal Control, Humane Society, ect..,? Call them and let them know about this case of animal abuse. Don't just report it and let it drop. Check up on them to see what if anything they have done.

Have a local paper? Does it have a good reporter who might be willing to do a story? How about a public pulse column?

Can't recall what state your living in, but any chance this animal might be a protected species? Maybe your local Game & Parks (or whatever your state calls their's) might have something to say about this.

You have her name and know where she lives. You have the pictures. Research and copy sources showing how this is damaging to the animal. She doesn't want to be educated ok, try forcing a little onto her.

Status
Not open for further replies.