Stray Redfoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nachtwulf

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The other morning I literally tripped over a redfoot. It was sitting placidly on my front sidewalk in my path to the trash can. As near as I can figure, it was someone's pet kept in an outdoor pen and escaped and found its way to my door. Normally a person's instinct when finding someone's lost pet would of course be to find the owner and return the animal, but I know next to nothing about these animals and I could tell that this poor thing has not been in tortoise paradise.

His plastron measures 5 and 3/8" from head to tail, and I don't know what he weighs, only that he feels light for his size. His shell looks like it has some absolutely gorgeous spot patterning, but it's hard to tell because the poor thing has been PAINTED red.

Painted.

I'm not talking water colours either, this is some serious hardcore lacquer paint like one would use on metal. At first I thought it might be nail polish but a very small test area on the top of the shell with some remover did nothing. I don't care who you are, painting an animal with rust-o-leum or such is abuse. Also, I've looked at many pictures of healthy animals and none of them have a shell like this guy. If it weren't for the fire orange scales on his legs, I would have thought him a different species. I assume then that the odd shell shape is from stress and improper care.

The shell domes symmetrically to a peak, and there is a distinct dorsal ridge along the center of the shell from head to tail. The plastron looks clean and healthy as far as I can tell. He isn't very social, but when he does come out of his shell his skin is soft and supple, with no noticeable trouble spots save for the red scales on the forelegs, which some look like they want to peel off. Here are some pictures showing what he looks like, some of them might be fuzzy because he didn't want to pose and I didn't want to stress him any more lol

That stripe I mentioned
08.jpg

The way his shell curls
02.jpg

And in the back too ("Kiss my tail" he says)
04.jpg

Plastron
05.jpg

A rather handsome fellow, really..
03.jpg

Again, not wanting to pose
06.jpg

Currently, I'm feeding him romaine lettuce, a little bit of carrot shreds, apple pieces and Rep-Cal tortoise pellets, which has a higher protien content than the other tortoise foods I found in PetSmart.

What can I do to help him be healthy, and seeing as how I really am not very knowledgeable about this animal's care, might there be someone in the Camp Lejeune, NC area who would like to adopt? (I'm afraid to take him to the shelter because they may return him to his original owner)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
What you have there is not a redfoot tortoise but a nice looking (except for the red paint) eastern box turtle. I have no idea how to remove the paint safely for the turtle. Earthworms and fruit (berries) would be the diet. I hope someone on here has some experience with this travestry. No, the previous thing that imprisoned this poor animal has no rights to this guy at all.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Glad I wasn't seeing thiings when I saw the first picture and I thought, "Hey wait a minute that.s a boxie's back." Shame they painted him, because he looked colorful enough to start with.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I will send you a pm. My sister's husband is stationed there. They live in Jacksonville. She might be able to take him.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
My sister cannot take him right now but she said to call Possum Wood Acres Wildlife Rehabilitation. The girls name is Tony O'Neil located in Hubert. The number is 910-326-6432. She should be able to help you or refer you to someone who can.

Nachtwulf

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the information! It's good to know that he's normal (save for the horrible paint job). Now I've adjusted his food and he's quite happily noshing diced grapes, young dandelion greens and earthworms. I've moved him from the dry cardboard box with newspaper substrate I had him in, into a big rubbermaid tub (48"x36"x8"). He's now on a mix of bed-a-beast and sand, and I've given him a MUCH bigger water source that he can soak in. He's definitely much more active now than when I first got him (I never knew turtles could poop so much lol) I'm still looking for some safe ways to remove the awful paint, his shell looks so pretty under it. I suppose now that I know what he is, if I want to ask more questions, I should move to the turtle board! :D

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I was thinking maybe a scrubbing pad used on teflon pans. Any chemicals scare me on living tissue. He is a beautiful guy.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Redfootedboxturtles said:
It was someones pet. By the looks of the shell, a long term pet. Put up some flyers.

I would NEVER give him back to the one who did that to him. I don't care if it's wrong or not. There are plenty of informative sites to go on to find out the proper care of any turtle or tortoise. Even if you don't have a comp. Go to the library and find out if you can PAINT a turtle shell. They don't deserve him. (unless of course, he was lost from a good owner, and someone else did that to him) There would be no way to find out.....so I wouldn't give him back.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
terryo said:
It was someones pet. By the looks of the shell, a long term pet. Put up some flyers.

I would NEVER give him back to the one who did that to him. I don't care if it's wrong or not. There are plenty of informative sites to go on to find out the proper care of any turtle or tortoise. Even if you don't have a comp. Go to the library and find out if you can PAINT a turtle shell. They don't deserve him. (unless of course, he was lost from a good owner, and someone else did that to him) There would be no way to find out.....so I wouldn't give him back.

DITTO X 100

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
why becasue they painted the shell? Probably didnt know any better. Besides the paint the turtle looks like it was well taken care.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
No No No, he was something's (don't think person is the correct term) object to express their vanity. If they like painting
put it to useful end such some handicap or elderly person's residence.

Nachtwulf

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
This animal has been painted with a tough enamel paint. Enamel = toxic.. I can't bring myself to return this poor thing to people who abuse it. I will be phoning Possum Wood Acres in the morning.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I agree with you wholeheartedly! I just don't understand how someone would reason that being an okay thing to do! I'd never return him to the owner, either!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Glad you are going to be calling them. I think my niece's girl scout troop just had tony give them a bit of a demonstration type thing. My sister said they made the girls do some type of turtle promise. sounded cute! I would like to know how you make out with them so I know and can also tell my sister. Thanks!

Nachtwulf

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
why becasue they painted the shell? Probably didnt know any better. Besides the paint the turtle looks like it was well taken care.

Respectfully.... Ignorance is not bliss to the animal suffering because of it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Almost all of us jumped to thinking the owner did this and didn't deserve the turtle back. I think Redfootedboxturtles made an important comment, it does look like the animal (other then the shell) was cared for. Now when I first saw this fella it reminded me of the one that was more of a free roaming one and I believe it was a construction crew decided to have "fun" with and painted hazardous orange. How do we know something like it didn't happen here?

Perhaps he got loose or was stolen and pranksters had their fun with him. Imagine yourself having your turtle suddenly missing and not being able to locate him. Doesn't the owner at least deserve a chance?

You could always place an ad or posters stating you found this box turtle, just don't mention the paint job or have pictures attached. Also give no details as to age, type, or gender. If any body calls claiming it as theirs, they could then describe him to you. If they mention the paint you can tell them yours has none and with a free conscious place him at the Possum Woods.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
People some times just dont know that paint can hurt a turtle. If you want to play finders keepers with someone's pet that's up to you. You should find the owner and educated them. The way the shell is semi-pyramided leads me to believe that this turtle was captive raised for years. Please dont let it go in the wild. That box turtle is hardly suffering. Look at the eyes , look at the shell. IMO it was very well taken care of. It was just painted. Somthing that was very very common back in the early days.

Sorry I don't usually get this into a thread but I think its messed up that you found a captive animal that was someone's pet and wont look for the old owner. Its probably a close neighbor. Ive had tortoises escape and it breaks my heart. = (

Status
Not open for further replies.