Strange stuff on "battering ram" on my California Desert Tortoise

Marian Stevens

5 Year Member
Augustus just woke up. It's weird as he woke up at almost 7pm...

We've had Augustus for 10 years now, and he emerged from his dry, clean hibernation box last evening. I noticed he has some weird "gunk" on his shell - the 'battering ram' portion. It scrapes off with my fingernail but feels damp. No odor. Could it be fungus? I'm wondering the best way to treat this - the obvious is to clean with a soft brush and treat with some sort of chlorhexidine stuff - but how did he get it?

I don't live in a humid area and as I said, his hibernation box was dry and clean. It's in a cool corner of my family room and he hibernates in a box like this every year.

Thanks!
IMG_9533.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It almost looks like wet soot. Let us see it after you scrub with a tooth brush and baby shampoo (no tears).

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
In the picture it's a little hard to see, a little to close. It looks just like mold though. I am no expert but if that was under my sink I would tell ya its mold. You say his box was dry but you're forgetting his breath has moisture in it, everytime he exhales.
@Yvonne G .... She is more advanced in her Tortoise Knowledge and maybe has a definite answer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
By the way, that's called his gular.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is that how the gular is supposed to be shaped? @Yvonne G
The look of the gular fits with the soot - maybe burned off?? No they don't normally look like that. i can give a better opinion once I see it cleaned off.