Store bought coco coir (chunky)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wosman

5 Year Member
Hi everyone

I tried to see if a thread already existed on this but didn't have any luck finding one.

Anyways i went to go buy some coconut coir for my russian tortoise to add to her enclosure. After soaking the brick and taking it apart it turned out to be in very large chunks. analogous to wood chips. This did not make for the greatest of substrates as it easily can (and is) pushed aside by the tortoise.

She hates the stuff like hell. Since i spent quite a bit of cash buying a few of these, is there anyway I can make it work? could i chuck them into a blender and use that instead?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Some of us here have shared the same frustration, or let down, whichever way works best....LOL....I have simply soaked in hot water for like 3 hours....then began the chunk and dunk and then squash it apart by hand...it actually turns out fine...but the process, well, sucks.....for lack of a better emotion while doing it....LOL

I will purchase the ready to go coco coir from now on...as my dear friend Chris does!!!....:p He was afforded a laugh when he read my personal adventure with the block substrate....

A margarita makes the task a bit easier and time sure does fly by when this refreshment is added (to the laborer that is, not the substrate)....;)

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I think you bought the little brick of compressed coco husk which is the small about marble sized piece of coconut husk. Im not sure how well they would blend up if it would turn out like coir or not. If anything go buy a brick of coir and mix the two together which would work really well.

wosman

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help gang. I'm gonna try and squash it up in hot water as I've already bought tons of this stuff and would hate to see it go to waste.

jbean7916

5 Year Member
I used a large old spatula to break it up after it had been soaking in HOT water for about 3 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.