Stopping sulcatas from digging out

packfan13

What do people do to stop their tortoises from digging under their fence in a enclosure or a backyard. I've looked through a lot of enclosure threads, but didn't really seem find much on that. I'm not worried as much about digging, just digging out, I'd like him to have his own little burrow. Do you put wire or something deeper into the ground under the walls of the enclosure? Thanks

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
We use that and cinder blocks

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I used 1/2" thick plywood, 16" high, in some areas and 2x12's in other areas. So far my sulcata hasn't tried to dig out. I was told by several keepers that as long as they don't see over the wall they are not likely to try to get to the other side. I am glad it has worked. Those perimeters are behind thick bushes preventing me from digging to bury anything solid.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have a sulcata, but I think it helps if he can't see the other side of the fence. Also if they have a big enough enclosure some won't dig. The ideas given seem pretty easy. I think some others, like @Tom just lines the enclosure using cinder blocks.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I don't do anything to keep my sulcatas from digging out. Honestly I have never heard of a sulcata digging to escape an enclosure or any place else. They do dig, but not to get to the other side. And as for sulcatas being able to see (look) out of the area where you keep them I have never had a problem with that either. They will pace the perimeter whether they can see though it or not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has been my experience, although not with sulcata, that if a tortoise can see daylight under the fence, he'll dig at that spot. So just make sure you fence firmly touches the ground and there shouldn't be a digging problem.

I buried chicken wire along the edge of my Russian tortoise habitat when I first built it years ago, and the wire rusted away to nothing with a year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

packfan13

Thanks for all the info guys, really helpful. I guess I never really thought about them not trying to dig out, but just dig down, that makes sense. My guy seems to always try to dig at corners though, so maybe I'll try to start one for him away from the walls like in Toms thread because I would be worried about him getting out if he started at the corner of the enclosure. The wire around the enclosure I think I'll do too, though I think I might actually do it outside instead of inside. I'm more worried about raccoons and such getting in than him getting out. Thanks again.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks for all the info guys, really helpful. I guess I never really thought about them not trying to dig out, but just dig down, that makes sense. My guy seems to always try to dig at corners though, so maybe I'll try to start one for him away from the walls like in Toms thread because I would be worried about him getting out if he started at the corner of the enclosure. The wire around the enclosure I think I'll do too, though I think I might actually do it outside instead of inside. I'm more worried about raccoons and such getting in than him getting out. Thanks again.
...or nail together a fake corner: maybe 3" x 3", in a more central area away from the real walls?:p ...or just stack a bunch of cinder blocks in a big "V" shape for a fake corner?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Many of them don't dig at all if they have a suitable shelter above ground. Here is an example: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

It has to get pretty hot before mine want to try and dig, and even then sometimes they don't try. Most summer days are near 100 degrees here and mine are content to just hang out topside most of the time. It took two or three weeks before they decided to use the hole that I started for them in my burrow thread there.

packfan13

Many of them don't dig at all if they have a suitable shelter above ground. Here is an example: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

It has to get pretty hot before mine want to try and dig, and even then sometimes they don't try. Most summer days are near 100 degrees here and mine are content to just hang out topside most of the time. It took two or three weeks before they decided to use the hole that I started for them in my burrow thread there.
I'm planning on trying to build somehing just like you did with your "best nightbox" design. He seems to always want to dig wherever i take him though, but I'll just feel it out when I get him in his new enclosure I guess.