Digging

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Just curious if anyone has any suggestions. My 13 year old Sulcata named Buddy who weighs 100 lbs has recently started digging for the first time. I have had him since a hatchling and he has always been satisfied with his man made shelters haha. Anyways, unfortunately he has chose to dig next to the brick wall in our backyard. The hole is about 4 feet by 4 feet. I have since placed 3 bricks inside which has seemed to deter him from digging any deeper. Has anyone else been successful with this or do you have any other recommendations? I don't want him hurting himself and/or causing a lot of damage. Thanks in advance. 20190721_173911.jpeg20190721_173821.jpeg20190721_173838.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fill in the hole as soon as he starts digging there. Then cover that area with plywood and some cinderblocks for a few weeks.

But there is a problem. Its too hot in AZ for them to remain above ground. When temps are 100+, your tortoise needs to have a cooler area to retreat to. The easiest way to do this in summer is to let them burrow. You can start a burrow where you do want him to dig and sometimes they will take the hint. If not, you need to make a shady area and use misters of sprinklers to help him cool off on hot days.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thank you both. Luckily Buddy has decided that he has dug far enough (or he just can't get past the bricks). Either way he seems content. Hopefully it stays that way haha. 20190727_134807.jpeg