Stolen Tortoise in Northern Cali

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I am very confused about this thread. You indicated that your tortoise was stolen, but then said it was a sanctuary that has no security, and the sanctuary is the one asking you not to call attention to the theft? I feel like chunks of the story are missing here.

diggermom

redding, ca
I am very confused about this thread. You indicated that your tortoise was stolen, but then said it was a sanctuary that has no security, and the sanctuary is the one asking you not to call attention to the theft? I feel like chunks of the story are missing here.
Bingo.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Would you stop looking or would you continue looking, knowing in your heart you did everything you could to find him/her? I think a bigger question is: Is there something you know that I don't?
I don’t know anything you don’t but I have had this happen to friends and myself I know she didn’t escape so chances of finding her at this point are non existent

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree. If it was the OP's tortoise why was it at a sanctuary?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because I paid them to foster her. My surroundings could no longer fit her.
Ah, now I get it. And you still have a strong attachment to the tortoise. Was this supposed to be a lifelong foster? No chance they unwittingly adopted her out, then thought, "Whoops!"

diggermom

redding, ca
Ah, now I get it. And you still have a strong attachment to the tortoise. Was this supposed to be a lifelong foster? No chance they unwittingly adopted her out, then thought, "Whoops!"

Yes and yes. I don't think they mistakenly adopted her out.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
So bottom line, if it were me I'd go on a PR blitz reaching out to every tortoise club, exotic vet, and shelter in the state. Sounds like you have done some of that. I would just keep sharing her photo with a big STOLEN/REWARD sign and see how it goes. I would not drop it, even if the chances are slim of finding her.

This sanctuary does sound strange, that she was the only one stolen and they aren't helping much. Sounds like they don't want their dirty laundry aired, or other people to know how easy it is to steal from them...

diggermom

redding, ca
I don’t know anything you don’t but I have had this happen to friends and myself I know she didn’t escape so chances of finding her at this point are non existent
Trust me, I've had stranger things happen in my lifetime, so non-existent only works for locating dinosaurs.