Stolen equipment

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I took a piece of 1" PVC about a foot long and cut it in half lengthwise. Then I used the clamps shown in Tom's post to secure it to the wall:

View attachment 312520

With just the clamps against the cord, Dudley would still get his claws around the cord and pull it. But with it in the PVC, he can't do any damage.

(Spider webs? What spider webs???)
This same thing can be done without cutting the pvc pipe. Just get the size big enough to except the plug and run the cord thru it. Thrn buy the bigger clamps to attach to the wall.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I took a piece of 1" PVC about a foot long and cut it in half lengthwise. Then I used the clamps shown in Tom's post to secure it to the wall:

View attachment 312520

With just the clamps against the cord, Dudley would still get his claws around the cord and pull it. But with it in the PVC, he can't do any damage.

(Spider webs? What spider webs???)

I think this picture shows how the perforated strap (at the top) works better than the conduit straps (bottom). It can be made to size and much tighter on the pvc than the 1 or 2 hole conduit straps.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Well, here's the end of the story...

My friend and I made some schedule changes and all was arranged to drive to Tom's place on Sunday.

Late Saturday afternoon my friend notices something odd in a remote area of her wrap-around-the-house yard. It was nearly dark, so a bit difficult to see. Getting closer, she realized IT WAS THE HEAT MAT!!

Boulder,...maybe the cord got wrapped around his leg?...somehow pulled that mat out of his box! He pulled hard enough that he unplugged it, then the plug had to go through a hole in the side of the box that had been drilled for it, and then he pushed/pulled/dragged the whole mat about 100ft away from the box!

We cancelled our trip to Tom's, and put our original plans back into action.

He's not even mine, and this lughead is going to drive me nuts. It's a good thing I love him!

Anybody want to adopt him? He's too big to pick up, is destructive, gets into trouble routinely, and chases you to ram into your legs. Altogether a wonderful pet! ?
I think this story is HILARIOUS! I love the description of the “thief” as “some miserable low-life.” I hope this characterization doesn’t have a detrimental effect on Boulder’s self esteem going forward...?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My friend has a 100 lb sulcata named Boulder. Yesterday while she and I were in town, some miserable low-life came in the gate and stole his Stanfield heat mat out of his box! That's the only item that's missing, but of course we wonder if Boulder was the target. Fortunately he's feeling his hormones right now and isn't as amicable as usual. We think he'd put up a fight.

Now there is only a light in his box, and we're going into the high 30's at night.

My friend has had a series of very expensive vet bills lately for her dogs, and is stretched to the breaking point.

I'm looking for a heat mat, 18"x24". I also want to upgrade his light to a RHP. And I need a thermostat.

If anyone has used, extra items taking up space that you would like to sell, please PM me. I've already helped my friend several times, and I just can't do more than this.

It worries me that Boulder is going to get so cold, but the only option is to put a cube heater blowing into his box for the time being.
The cube heater will work well. I use one for Opo now and then. I just keep a eye on Opo because in the mornings he gets a little to close.
I know @vladimir has some extra thermostats.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What a naughty torty!!!
I was so angry for you that someone had taken his mat and worried that they may go back for Boulder, but thankfully all's well that ends well!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The cube heater will work well. I use one for Opo now and then. I just keep a eye on Opo because in the mornings he gets a little to close.
I know @vladimir has some extra thermostats.
Yes, the heater worked well. She only used it 1 or 2 nights.