Stock Tank cover outside

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
My wife and I just moved into our first house in Albuquerque and we're getting the turtles settled in. Eventually I'll have an indoor aquarium for the 4 map turtle babies (the old one didn't travel) and a pond in the back for the big turtles (1 southern painted and 2 razorback musk). For now I have them set up in stock tanks. The babies are all in a 300 gallon, the southern painted (fatty) and 1 razorback (granny) are in a 300 gallon and the other razorback (blackbeard) is in the 120 gallon. Blackbeard can't be trusted with the others, at least not until there is more cover and such. They're still a bit bare, but have stones to hide under and the babies have lots of plastic plants until I can get some floating plants and marginals in the spring. Do people think i should put a metal mesh top or net or something over them to keep anything out? I'm currently thinking not since the water level is ~6" down from the top and there are rocks they can get under if something comes looking for them. I could easily be convinced to buy something to put over it. I know a few people keep turtles in stock tanks like this, do y'all usually cover the tops?
20211029_153759.jpg20211029_153805.jpg20211029_153813.jpg

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
^ what he said. Raccoons are crafty and smart and once they find a food source they'll keep coming back. You also should put some weight on the top in case of wind or a racoon just lifting it off.