Long time no post

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Hello everyone. I realized the other day that I havn't posted anything in a long time. Lots has changed! My wife and I moved to Bay Area, California and have gone through a couple of aquarium changes as well.

I've just started a pair of 125 gallon outdoor aquariums from acrylic. Its the closest I'm willing to come to an outdoor pond in a rent house. So far only slim has moved outdoors, but in the next couple of weeks I'm hoping I'll have both southern painted turtles and both razorback musk turtles outside (1 of each in each aquarium).
IMG_0480.jpgIMG_0481.jpgIMG_0482.jpg

For the first couple of years the 2 SPTs lived together and the 2 RMTs lived together, but I started having a bit of aggression between the razorbacks last year and so separated them. Granny got moved into a 29 gallon aquarium where she is currently and Blackbeard stayed with the SPTs in the 120 gallon tank. Granny mostly hangs out in one of the hideouts.
IMG_0483.jpgIMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0485.jpgIMG_0487.jpg

I've never had outdoor water turtles before, but its been really nice so far watching them swim around while we're outdoor eating or sitting. I know its quite a lot smaller than a typical outdoor pond at a total ~240 gallons at 2' depth, does anyone know how reasonable it is for everyone to stay out there as we get towards winter (which feels like it is forever away, but time seems to fly these days)?

Thanks for looking! Its good to be poking around the forums again.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Idk the answer to your question but awesome! Welcome back!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good to see you back here. Nice job on the outdoor "ponds."

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Nice, what is your plan to control algae growth?

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Plan. Right. I hadn't gotten there. The filter has a bit of a UV bulb, but probably not sufficient for that. The turtles seem to pick at algae on the rocks/logs in their other tanks, so except for whats on the windows I was going to let it go as long as its the neutral/good algae. If its gets a bit much I'll consider some other options in snails/fish etc to work on it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Plan. Right. I hadn't gotten there. The filter has a bit of a UV bulb, but probably not sufficient for that. The turtles seem to pick at algae on the rocks/logs in their other tanks, so except for whats on the windows I was going to let it go as long as its the neutral/good algae. If its gets a bit much I'll consider some other options in snails/fish etc to work on it.
They have those algae scrubbers that are magnetic. I bet that would work with that acrylic if you stay on top of it from time to time.