Stinky mutt!

AnimalLady

LUNA! Luna smells like buttcrack! NO seriously, she smells like rotten fish! I wash her every other week or so (sometimes a little longer), or when she starts looking really dingy, i dont like to over wash, im sure its not good for their skin.. but this smell, its not from under-washing. Its a distinct fishy smell that makes me want to gagg and vomit! I even bought a spray, its called "Foo Foo spray" and it helps, but lord jeebus its bad!! Its not always either, like some days she's good, smells normal.. then other days its like WTF LUNA! There are times she's sitting down and everything is ok, then all of a sudden GAGG VOMIT! We make fun and say "Luna Poofed again!" LOL!
OK but no, really.. any of you know what this could be? Any fixing my stinky winky girl?

She is not spayed, if that helps any....

Here's my fishy girl, Luna-Muna-Stinky-Poona!!!!!
OSO.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Any chance it is her breath? My mom's dog had this problem and cleaning her teeth fixed it. Is she rolling in something outside?
She sure is cute!

AnimalLady

Definitely not her breath.. its from her, uhm, nether regions... and thats been unfortunately for my nose, confirmed :)

Nope, no rolling...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
even stinky dogs need love. There's a product called dynovite I think they're supposed to work wonders with smelly dogs I've ever tried it myself so I can't say my dog doesn't stink, that you might want to look into it.

AnimalLady

even stinky dogs need love. There's a product called dynovite I think they're supposed to work wonders with smelly dogs I've ever tried it myself so I can't say my dog doesn't stink, that you might want to look into it.
My stinky girl is very loved, stinky and all :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She probably needs her anal glands expressed. You can do it, however, it's such an obnoxious job I would take her to the vet and pay to have it done.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can also take her to a dog groomer to have her glands expressed . Most small dogs will need this monthly . If you let her outside they will rub there butts on the ground to pop the gland . Trust me when I say don't do it yourself . If you have a weak stomach. Go to YouTube and check it out .

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
You can also take her to a dog groomer to have her glands expressed . Most small dogs will need this monthly . If you let her outside they will rub there butts on the ground to pop the gland . Trust me when I say don't do it yourself . If you have a weak stomach. Go to YouTube and check it out .
rub their butts on the ground? Dogs and me must be kindred spirits.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My dog used to lick himself and the licking would set off some skunk smell that was really rough.
I made my own shampoo from a recipe I found online with 1/4 each of baking soda, Avons Skin So Soft, dial soap and water.
It worked to mask the stank pretty well.
At least he could again sleep in the bed.....

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Unspayed female dogs are prone to a really nasty uterine infection called pyometra. If she has any vaginal discharge you should really get that checked out. It is nasty and can have fatal side effects.

Female dogs with vaginosis can also have a fishy smell.

Another option mentioned above are anal glad issues. Generally leaky glands or infected glands are going to be the most smelly. I recommend having them expressed by a veterinary office as most groomers do it externally where as a veterinarian is going to do it internally which is far more effective. (and they can feel for obstructions, scar tissue, tumors, etc. If the dog is the nervous type she may be expressing them on herself when she is startled. You can try rubbing under her tail with rubbing alcohol to try to take off the smell. The excretion is oily/waxy so a touch of soap wont hurt either.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
everything you wanted to know about dogs but were afraid to ask. :-(

AnimalLady

Yea, wow, ok, ew. Luna has an appt on Saturday to figure this out.

There's no discharge at all, nothing seems infected or I would have taken her to the vet a long while ago. I thought she was just a stinky...

I in no way would even attempt this myself, oh gaggggg!!!!

AnimalLady

Unspayed female dogs are prone to a really nasty uterine infection called pyometra. If she has any vaginal discharge you should really get that checked out. It is nasty and can have fatal side effects.

Female dogs with vaginosis can also have a fishy smell.

Another option mentioned above are anal glad issues. Generally leaky glands or infected glands are going to be the most smelly. I recommend having them expressed by a veterinary office as most groomers do it externally where as a veterinarian is going to do it internally which is far more effective. (and they can feel for obstructions, scar tissue, tumors, etc. If the dog is the nervous type she may be expressing them on herself when she is startled. You can try rubbing under her tail with rubbing alcohol to try to take off the smell. The excretion is oily/waxy so a touch of soap wont hurt either.

Yes! She is a nervous thing, always has been. It makes sense now, it does happen when she gets freaked out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yea, wow, ok, ew. Luna has an appt on Saturday to figure this out.

There's no discharge at all, nothing seems infected or I would have taken her to the vet a long while ago. I thought she was just a stinky...

I in no way would even attempt this myself, oh gaggggg!!!!

The anal glands are like a great big blackhead. It's all on the inside. You wouldn't notice it from the outside.

AnimalLady

Just the funk.. thats the only thing thats noticeable. She's all set for Saturday, I hope its just the anal glands. Talking to the receptionist and she told me that it was very common and a quick thing to do. I'm nervous for her though, my girl detests car rides..

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Any time that Chester got nervous or scared he would very quickly smell SKUNK like. It wasn't a poo type smell, just not pleasant.
I wonder now what that was all about.
We always used to joke about not scaring "Skunk Boy".
BTW your dog looks very nice.

AnimalLady

Any time that Chester got nervous or scared he would very quickly smell SKUNK like. It wasn't a poo type smell, just not pleasant.
I wonder now what that was all about.
We always used to joke about not scaring "Skunk Boy".
BTW your dog looks very nice.
Why thank you! She's an amazing "baby dog". She follows my little guy around like its her baby! When he started walking she would not budge from his side and he held her A LOT for support. She really is a gem. <3 <3 a funky, stank, gem, but a gem none the less!

AnimalLady

So the vet called and they wont be in tomorrow, my husband took her today.

CONFIRMED. Anal glands and they said they were "full", dont know what that means! BUT, they have me going back once a month for this now.. YAY! My stinky girl is going to be OH SO FRESH AND SO CLEAN CLEAN! :)